20. Breakfast With the King

Lily didn't know what was going on, when someone burst through the doors of Sylvia's chamber. She jumped up out of the floor, where she had been down on her hands and knees cleaning, and placed her hand over her heart.

"Goodness!" she gasped.

"My apologies, Lily," Jonah told her as he rushed inside. "But the princess has been injured. Calum told me to bring her up here and wait until he gets here."

"But he's been imprisoned, hasn't he? I heard some of the servants talking about it when I went to get mop water for the floor."

"He was, but I freed him."

Jonah carried Sylvia over to her bed. Lily rushed to pull the covers down for him, worry lining her face. He laid her down gently and backed out of the way so Lily could cover her up properly. Then he remembered what Calum had said and rushed over to the door. He closed it swiftly and clicked the locks into place. He drew his sword and leaned up against the wall beside of the door.

Lily made sure Sylvia was comfortable. It worried her seeing the blood on her temple. What on Earth had happened down there? She whirled around. "Jonah, what happened to Sylvia?"

Jonah took a deep breath. Sweat was pouring down his face. He explained about the king finding out about Calum's magic and about the woman who had come forward. "She wasn't a civilian. It was Raveena. Apparently, Sylvia had gone to talk to her, and Viktor attacked her."

"The man in the woods?"

Jonah nodded. "There was a battle going on down there when I left. Ben and the king had been knocked unconscious. I don't even know if they are okay or not."

Lily's mouth dropped open in disbelief. She had missed a lot. She wished she had gone with Sylvia now. Maybe she wouldn't have gotten hurt. She glanced back at her. The princess was as pale as ash and her chest didn't seem to be rising and falling very often.

"Are you sure Calum is on his way? I don't know if Sylvia can wait much longer," Lily said, worriedly.

"He'll be here," Jonah assured her. "Unless Raveena kills him, he'll be here."

She gulped. She didn't like the fact it was even a possibility Calum could be killed. She knew Sylvia would be heartbroken, especially if she thought he had died protecting her. She glanced over at her again. She looked so fragile, like she would break if someone touched her. Jonah noticed her looking.

"Don't worry, Lily," he said. "Calum will be here soon to heal her. He won't let her die."

Lily sighed. "I know, but-"

Suddenly, Jonah placed his index finger to his lips and told her to hush. He pointed to the door, which could only mean one thing. Someone was coming. Lily froze where she stood. Jonah gripped his sword tightly and moved away from the door. He didn't bother unlocking it. He moved out in front of the door, in front of Lily, so she would be safe. The door rattled a few seconds later, causing Lily to cry out in alarm.

"Who is it?" Jonah called out.

The voice outside the door was muffled, but he and Lily could hear it well. "Calum. Let me in, Jonah."

Jonah didn't move. Lily moved forward to let him in, but he grabbed her arm. "No," he whispered. "If it's really him, he can get in all by himself."

Lily frowned as he let go of her and returned to her place by Sylvia's bed. As much as she hated to admit it, he was right.

"If it's really you, Calum, unlock the doors yourself," Jonah said loudly. "You told me to protect Sylvia and it's what I mean to do."

Lily and Jonah both watched the door. The rattling stopped and the locks began to move on their own. Jonah didn't lower his sword though. He wasn't going to until he saw the whites of Calum's eyes. Lily gulped, fear gripping her stomach. She prayed it was really Calum and not someone pretending to be him.