19. Choices

Jonah was nearly out of breath by the time he reached Ben's chambers. There was a faint flicker of fire light, which meant he was still awake. At least, he wouldn't have to go through the trouble of shaking him until he opened his eyes. He didn't waste any time, knocking on his door right away. Ben answered within a few seconds, looking like death warmed over. He was sweating, and pale as a ghost, barely able to stand. It was obvious he wasn't going to be much help. 

"What happened to you?" Jonah questioned. "Please tell me you're not drunk."

"I'm not drunk," Ben said, agitated. "I'm dealing with something right now. Can you come back?"

He sighed wearily. "We need you."

"Do you have a mouse in your pocket?"

"No, and if you don't come with me right now, you're going to be dealing with the death of your sister and your servant."

Ben's eyes widened. "Why? What happened?" Despite the fact it felt like someone had split him open with an ax, he would die if anything happened to Sylvia or Calum.

Jonah went into detail about what he saw, leaving nothing out. It was the fastest explanation he had ever given anyone. "Viktor picked Sylvia up and put her over his shoulder. He and the woman were heading to the dungeons. To Calum."

Ben shook his head. "The woman has to be Raveena in disguise. Why else would she take Sylvia?"

"Maybe to declare war. You know any attempt to harm the princess is an act of war and she should know it, too. The king made it very clear the last time something happened to her." He remembered it well. A man had only been trying to show Sylvia something, and he had pulled her to him against her will. Merrick sent a whole army after her and had the man brought directly to him. If it hadn't been for Sylvia's mercy, the man wouldn't have lived. And it was just a misunderstanding. This was much different.

"If she were trying to declare war, why not deal with Merrick directly? Besides, she already tried to kill Sylvia once. Why carry her off? Why not just kill her immediately?" Ben frowned. He just didn't understand why she would carry her down to the dungeons to Calum. She had to know Calum wouldn't dare let any harm come to her. Then it hit him. Calum was exactly the reason she had taken her. "Of course!"

Jonah stared at him blankly. "What is it?"

"I just figured out why she's taking Sylvia down there. I don't know if you noticed, but Calum is very protective of her. Raveena must have seen it when he saved her in The Forest of Shadows. She's going to use her as a bargaining chip."

"But what could he possibly give her?"

"Isn't it obvious? She wants The Prophecy."

Jonah's eyes widened. "And she has no idea she already has her."

"Exactly. We have to get down there."

"Are you sure you're up for it?"

"I have to be, Jonah." He went inside his chamber and grabbed the belt containing his sword. Then he left the room, closing the door behind him."

You looked fine about an hour ago. What happened?" Jonah asked as they started jogging down the corridor.

"I went to see Matilda. My mother. She bound my magic when I was a baby."

"You have magic?"

"Apparently, I was born with it."

"Amazing. And you're a seer."

"Yeah. Anyway, she gave me a vial of liquid to drink to unbind my power before I left."

"And this is you receiving your magic?"