13. The King's Denial

Calum rose the next morning with the sun. He probably wouldn't have, had it not been for the vigorous banging on the door of his room. He opened his eyes reluctantly and hurried over to the door. He wondered what on Earth could be so important so early in the morning. He wasn't due up until Ben was up, and the man had told him he wasn't up very early. He was half asleep when he turned the doorknob. He was surprised to see the servant who had brought him to the room last night, standing there in front of him. What was worse, is he looked very apprehensive.

This can't be good, Calum thought. Then he said, "Morning."

"Good morning," the man greeted him. "I have come to get you up. You have to get ready and come with me."

"What for? Did Ben get up early?"

"No." The servant licked his lips. It was obvious this visit, or something had made him very nervous. "The king sent for you. As soon as you can get ready, he wants to speak with you."

Calum frowned. This was highly unusual. Why would Merrick want to speak with him? It didn't make sense. It was just as well though. He had wanted to speak with him anyway. "Okay. I'll get ready and I'll be right out. Or you can tell me where to meet him and I can go there myself."

"No. King Merrick was very clear. I am to bring you."

"Okay. I'll be out in a minute."

Calum closed the door, his forehead creasing. It was obvious he feared the king a great deal. If Calum feared him at all, he might have been a little nervous, but he wasn't. The king was a man like any other. There was nothing to fear. Well, except for his track record of killing those with magic. Like sister, like brother.

He pulled his clothes on and washed off a little. He was glad the servant had gotten him some water last night. He smoothed his hair down a little and then he was ready to go. He opened the door again.

"I'm ready," he announced.

"It's about time," the servant snapped. "The king doesn't like to be kept waiting."

"Well, then he shouldn't be pulling people out of bed," Calum argued. "What's the king doing up at this hour anyway?"

"He couldn't sleep, I guess."

"Great. Lack of sleep means he's probably going to be cranky."

The servant stared at him, but Calum didn't notice. He was too busy admiring the structure around him. It was the nicest place he had ever been. They went up a very steep flight of stairs and down several corridors before they arrived at a room on the left side. It was the last door in the hall.

"Wait a minute. He wants me to meet him in his chambers?" Calum questioned.

"Yes," the servant answered. "I wish you luck. This is highly unusual."

"Just because something is out of the ordinary doesn't mean it's bad."

"The last time the king met with one of us in his chambers, the servant was executed the next day."

"I see. It obviously doesn't mean it's anything good either." He laughed nervously. Had Merrick already discovered his secret?

The servant stopped at the door and allowed Calum to pass. "Just knock twice before you go in. Good luck."

"Thanks," Calum muttered. He turned to the wooden door in front of him. He knocked two times, just as the servant had said, and he waited patiently.

It was only a second before he heard the king's voice. "Enter."

Taking a deep breath, Calum opened the door and went inside. The beauty of the castle was nothing compared to the beauty inside of the king's room. It was vast and heavily decorated with gold and burgundy, which stood out nicely against the light stone walls. Merrick was over at the window, by his bed, leaning against the frame and gazing out into the open.