Chapter 11

In the end, Elvis was the one who broke their embrace.

"Let's get goin'," Elvis said. It sounded like a question, but Rosemarie had no reason to argue his executive decision or the ghost of his hand on the small of her back. "Just keep on walking, alright honey? Follow my lead."

Rosemarie gave a brief nod of the head. Her legs felt like jelly and her mind was racing but she was determined not to let them see. She had managed to act as though having Elvis Presley stumble upon her school yard wasn't a big deal and she had been rewarded handsomely for it.

They all rushed over to the door before Elvis and Rosemarie even crossed the threshold. Rosemarie's confidence in herself decreased with every passing second. Their heads turned toward each other, silent words bouncing between them. A squeeze of the hand was all the answer that was needed before they braved the crowds together. A maze of emotion circulated through her as they fought their way through, over to Elvis' car, which contained his two friends.

Camera flashes went off from several directions. Elvis' name was screamed so many times that one voice washed out another until they all blended together. This couldn't be happening.  Nothing ever did happen here.

She tried to focus on Elvis' hand on her shoulder, guiding her. She knew that Elvis wouldn't let anything happen to her. It was terrifying in a way, but she trusted the man with her life.

Lamar opened the door for them and Elvis pushed Rosemarie into the car first before joining her. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her to him. "You alright, honey?"

"Fine," Rosemarie assured him as the car sped away, leaving the press in the dust for the time being. Rosemarie had hardly managed to calm herself when they arrived at the house, which was overrun by screaming fans.

"We're home," Elvis called as Lamar and Red scattered to the living room and Gladys came rushing out of the kitchen. "Oh hi Rosemarie," she said cheerfully, then turned to her son. "Weren't you gonna get your hair cut?"

Elvis wrinkled his nose in disgust. "I will. Somethin' came up is all. Rosie lost her job."

If Hans would have shared such details of her life with his mother with Rosemarie standing right there, she would have beheaded him. But this was different somehow. She didn't mind Gladys knowing.

"What?" Gladys gasped, placing a hand on Rosemarie's shoulder. "How did that happen?"

"It was just...they never did like me."

Gladys nodded, refraining from pushing further. "It's okay," Rosemarie said, not wanting there to be any discomfort on her account. She turned to Elvis. "So you were supposed to get your hair cut this afternoon when you had time off?"

"Yes," he grumbled. "But I ended up having to do somethin' more important."

"I appreciate what you did but I don't want you getting yourself in trouble."

"I'm not in trouble, honey. I can still go."

"Now?" Gladys and Rosemarie both exclaimed, although not quite in unison.

A small grin flitted over Elvis' face in response. "If that's what you ladies want your wish is my command."

"I just don't want that sergeant to give you a hard time again," Gladys said.

"He always does, Mama. That's what the army is like. And I'd still go but I can't leave Rosie."

"You can," Rosemarie insisted. "It's fine. I'll stay here with your mother."

"It ain't fine."

"You just don't want to cut your hair." She was only half joking but wished that she had kept her mouth shut when his face fell. He really was taking these army haircuts harder than he should. He was always a bit awkward the first time they met after he had to get his hair cut again and he tended to keep his head covered most of the time until it had grown out a bit.