Chapter 8

Apparently in Germany the summer break was shorter and the other breaks in between somewhat longer to compensate. Which meant that Rosemarie was off work while Elvis was still working.

They had done dinner and a movie once again a few days ago, but it was their daily lunch dates he missed most of all. Every day at lunchtime he would head for the parking lot to speed down to the school. Sometimes he didn't remember until he was already in the car.

Rosemarie seemed to be busy these days. Busy with Christmas preparations and her own family. She had parents, siblings and a little niece. Elvis couldn't expect her to favor him and his folks over her own, especially at this time of year. He supposed that now he had a bit of an idea what it must have been like for the girls he'd dated when he was out on the road without them.

Elvis stared out the kitchen window, a far away look in his eyes. He wasn't even in the mood to host parties at the house, though Red and Lamar surely were. The fans had gotten wind of where he lived by now, how he didn't know but they camped out in front of the house every day. Elvis devoted half an hour every day to signing autographs for them. He never knew that he had so many fans in Germany. It made him wonder how many more there were across the globe.

It was just past three pm, according to his watch. The sergeant had sent them home somewhat earlier again.

"Why don't you just call that little girl of yours?"

"Huh?"

"Your girl Rosie. That's why you're putterin' around the house like a kicked dog every day ain't it? And you ain't had a fight cause if you would've your mother would know."

"Maybe she just didn't tell you."

"You ain't had a fight and you have her number so you might as well call her up and ask her to spend some time with you."

"She has my number too. She's just busy is all."

Both Elvis and Vernon turned when Gladys strode into the kitchen. "Son, Rosemarie is on the phone for you."

Elvis jumped to his feet, his chair creaking against the wooden floor as he did. He dashed over to the phone in the hall, leaving his parents to smile and shake their heads at each other. He thought that he had heard his father say something about young love.

"Rosie?" Elvis spoke into the receiver.

"Hey honey."

A smile crept across his lips. "Hey honey yourself. Everything fine?"

"Oh yes. I just wanted to talk to you that is all."

"You know I was just about to call you. Are you...would you be busy tonight cause I was thinkin' that maybe we could go ahead and go out again."

Disappointment coursed through him at her response of, "I can't tonight, Elvis. I'm sorry."

"How come?"

"I have to babysit my niece for my sister. They are going out on a date for their anniversary."

"Would your sister be mad if I came over and helped you?"

"I'm at their house," Rosemarie sighed. "But maybe we could meet up and take her out for a bit."

"That sounds great," Elvis said cheerfully. He had been wanting alone time, but it was better than the alternative. "Has the little one been to the Christmas market yet?"

"The little one has been begging to go again actually."

Elvis chuckled. "Why then it's settled, ain't it? When can we meet up?"