Chapter 9

Time was flying by lately, it seemed. This would be the last time Rosemarie was to see Elvis before Christmas, which they would spend with their own families as per unspoken agreement.

Rosemarie stood in the kitchen with Gladys and Minnie Mae, trying to get the dough for apple strudel right, the way her grandmother showed her. Vernon and Elvis' friends were nowhere to be seen, but Elvis was there, standing in the way and babbling none stop as he observed them. Gladys and Minnie Mae seemed to have acquired the ability to block out his incessant chatter but Rosemarie found herself constantly distracted by him. Meanwhile General was scurrying around the kitchen and forcing everyone present to look down before taking so much as a single step as not to stumble over the dog.

"Is this like a pie crust?" Gladys asked, temporarily overpowering the sound of Elvis' voice in the background.

"I don't know what a pie crust is," Rosemarie admitted. "This is just how it's made. How my grandmother showed me." She groaned when Elvis wrapped his arms around her stomach and pressed his form against hers. "Elvis," she drew out as he rested his chin on her shoulder.

"What honey?"

"We're trying to make you something nice to eat."

"Elvis," Gladys said, "Now sit yourself down over there."

Rosemarie suppressed a laugh when Elvis stepped away from her. He went to sit down on one of the chairs- and immediately began to talk again.

"So it's my last day at work before Christmas break, right? Last day and then McAdams comes up and says I gotta get my hair cut again. Over my Christmas break." He ran his fingers through his hair and groaned. "It looks so good now."

Gladys sighed. "But if the sergeant says that it has to be cut...I wouldn't want you to get in no trouble over this."

"I won't."

"That's not what your daddy says."

Elvis scooted around in his seat when Gladys turned toward him. An expression of guilt flitted over his face. "I don't want you to worry now. Not about that." His lips twitched and he frowned, looking like someone who was talking himself into doing something very unpleasant. "I'll get it cut tomorrow if that will make you stop worrying."

Gladys gave him a soft smile and a curt nod in response. Elvis tried to return the gesture but his smile came out as more of a grimace.

"I thought that your short hair was cute," Rosemarie said.

Elvis scoffed. "No it wasn't. You don't have to say so either."

"I'm not just saying so. It makes me think of our first date."

Elvis managed a small smile at that before proceeding to stare into space with his best innocent look plastered on his face. Elvis stayed quiet for the grand total of five minutes but to his credit he was not the one to initiate a conversation. Minnie Mae stumbled over General for at least the third time and then told Elvis to get the dog.

"General!" Elvis called, but the dog turned its rear toward him and sniffed the floor as if Elvis had not spoken at all. "I saved him, stuck him under my coat and even fed him my lunch and now he don't like me."

Elvis heaved himself up, made his way over to General and scooped him up. "Come on, General. The ladies don't want no guys around."

"We don't want no guys scurryin' underfoot and being all distractin'," Minnie Mae said.

"Well," Elvis said, "I'll be upstairs in my room if any of you need me."

Rosemarie burst into an involuntary fit of giggles when he walked out of the room.