Chapter 4 : Coffee Stains

George couldn't remember his dream.

His clock on his bedside table showed 6:18AM. The earliest George has woken up in a while. The dreams would keep him a deep sleep until later.

But normally, the dreams were so vivid. It was like watching a movie. He would remember every moment, every second.

This time, he couldn't.

If someone had narrated it to him, it would've rung a bell but not guarantee he would know what exactly is going on. He got out of bed, his mind clouded with faint words, faint sentences.

But nowhere to place them. As though he was given a puzzle piece with no picture. Just part of something he didn't know.

He was forgetting something. Someone perhaps. He could feel the dull ache in his chest, like his heart was disappointed.

Did you really forget, George?

It was like his body was forcing him to try and remember, but what was the use in remembering dreams.

A dream stays a dream.

George remembered the field, the location that he hated for a reason he no longer remembered. He walked out of bed, his mind at ease but his heart not.

His heart felt like it was throwing itself at his rib cage, trying to force the mind to remember something it has forgotten.

His brown eyes flickered to the door, was he expecting someone to come in?

Sapnap, perhaps?

Bad was out with his friend Skeppy that day. But Sapnap had promised to come. He'd always have Sapnap.

George went up to his window seat in his room. His hand gently touching the metal of the window pane as he looked out.

The morning was quiet, gentle. Soft chirping of birds from afar, gentle rustle of trees in the morning breeze, the smell of dew drops, around the air.

But the sky; was the masterpiece of them all. The soft, pinkish golden colour of the sky to signify the return of dawn. The Sun rising in the East, with the moon setting in the West.

Just like in his dreams.

What would happen, if he were to go to the field?

Would he remember why he'd come there every night?

Would someone be there?

Would he remember?

And if he did... would he just forget it all over again?

-

George was in his kitchen, pouring himself coffee when the sound of keys caught his attention.

"What the fuck is up Georgie!" Sapnap's greeted cheerfully, carrying shopping bags into the house, which he dumped on the counter. "Guess who got you groceries? Hint; me,"

George returned the greeting half heartedly, examining the contents of the bag.

"You okay? Bad said you got therapy tomorrow so you can look forward to that," Sapnap asked, pushing George away and unpacking the grocery shopping bag for him. "I'll do that, thanks. Before Bad starts spanking me for not taking care of you. But you can make me coffee too,"

George resisted the urge to roll his eyes as he did exactly that, pouring the brown semi-translucent liquid into two cups. A small silence passed by with the sound of the grocery bag crinkling under Sapnap's hands and the rich smell of coffee wafting between them.