Ch 1 New Student?!

"What's crackin' you wild youngsters?" Adam beamed as he walked inside his classroom, his class just responded with silence after their teacher's awkward attempt in using modern slang.

It was his way of trying to captivate his students and demonstrate as to why having a young teacher like him would be cool, but despite his age he was sort of a boomer when it came to slang.

It's been about an year and a half since Adam first started teaching at Finnegan high school, and things weren't much different than they were last year.

His students were still the same, they lacked respect for him due to him being the same age as them (in some cases he was even younger), not to mention even the adults themselves sometimes lacked respect for him as well, such as Principal Tater.

But Adam still managed to carry the same positive attitude throughout the first semester of of 10th grade. He genuinely enjoyed teaching his science class, despite the lack of respect/attention he received from his peers.

If anything, his students saw Adam more of a friend than a teacher. Well..at least Derby did. The rest just saw him as a gullible nerdy kid that held no authority over them.

I really have to change that.

Adam thought.

He winced as a slimy tail slapped him across the face and snapped him out of his inner thoughts.

"Wha- who threw this?" He asked sternly, holding out the catfish that had been thrown at him in front of the class.

"Slab gave me 5 dollars to say it was me andeventhoughthatsprettycheapitwaseithertakingthemoneyorgettingaswirlyafterschool but I don't care my parents are gonna kill me if I keep getting detention so it was Slab!" Derby blurted out, slapping a hand against his mouth but it was too late.

Slab stood up, a menacing look on his face.

"Derby Von Derbotsford-" Slab growled.

Derby quickly hopped out of his seat, and started running away.

"Hey come back here loser!" Slab ran after him.

"Class! Class! That's enough!" Adam shouted, his 2 students running in circles.

Derby ended up knocking over a table as he ran away from Slab, causing the girls that sat on the desk to jump out of their seats as Derby fell forward with the desk he knocked down.

Derby whimpered as Slab lifted him up from the floor by the scruff of his jacket.

"Slab- That's enough Jordan Slabinski!! Put Derby down right now or I'll call Principal Tater!"

"Fine!" Slab huffed, instead of putting Derby down as expected by Mr. Young, to everyone's shock Slab tossed Derby across the classroom where Adam was at.

Derby closed his eyes, expecting to have a harsh landing on the floor but to his surprise Adam had caught the shorter boy bridal style.

"Wow.. you're pretty strong Mr. Young." Derby commented, his arms wrapped around Adam's shoulders to avoid falling out of his grip.

The realization of the words that Derby said had him burst out in loud laughter. Everyone joined, Slab laughing the loudest.

"Ha! 'Mr. Young is strong!' '' He repeats, with humor as realization of the words he said hits.

"The day Mr. Young is strong will be the day I stop bullying nerds." Slab roared in laughter, Derby joining in.

Adam just stood there stone-faced as laughter filled the room, the laughter continued for what felt like an eternity.

"Don't mean to disturb your cachinnation, but we still have some lessons to learn today." Adam reminded.

"Oh." Derby finally spoke, his laughter finally gone.

"Okay you can put me down now, Mr. Young."

"It would be my pleasure." Adam said with what seemed like a smug.

"Hey why are you- OW!" Derby winced in pain as Adam dropped him on the floor.

Adam let out a sigh once the class finally settled down.

"Alright class, today we'll be learning about-" His sentence was interrupted by the bell ringing.

Had he really taken the whole period trying to settle everyone down?!

Oh great, and he still had to clean up the mess Slab and Derby made.

Good thing I don't have a second period.

Adam thought, grabbing a mop and cleaning the mess Slab made until the mop brushed against brown boots he quickly recognized as Tater's.

"Oh, hello Principal Tater!" Adam chuckled nervously as he looked up, shifting his weight to his left foot.

"Mr. Young, I'm here to talk about something serious." Mr. Tater announced in a serious tone.

"It was all Slab I swear!" Adam pleaded.

"He threw a fish at me then he started chasing Derby everywhere-"

"What fish?" Mr. Tater interrupted, a look of confusion on his face.

"No, I'm here to tell you that you're expecting a new student tomorrow."

"Oh, really?"

Adam could feel a sharp pain down in his stomach.

He knew that only meant one thing. Trouble.