Ch 5 Lunch

A few hours later, during lunchtime

"Valerie!" I heard a voice call after me as I walked out of 3rd period and headed to the cafeteria.

It was finally lunchtime, and I was sure glad it was since I was starving.

I continue walking, until the same voice shouts my name again.

"Wait up!" The kid runs towards me, he gasps for breath when he finally catches up.

"Oh hey Derby." I say as we head to the cafeteria.

"You remember my name!" He gasps dramatically.

"Uh yeah, I guess I do." I say as I find an empty table to sit in, trying to hold back my laughs as I heard Derby say "a girl knows my name" to several people we walk pass.

When I find an empty table I sit down, putting my backpack on my lap.

"So, how are you liking your first day of school so far?" Derby questioned as he sat across from my table.

"It's okay, I suppose." I shrugged.

"Except for the detention. Guess I should've just kept my mouth shut about Mr. Baldie."

"You kidding me? That was hilarious."  Derby beams, and I just smile slightly.

Well, at least I made a new friend.

Derby opened his lunch bag, taking a huge bite of his sandwich.

"Crap, I just realized I forgot to bring money to buy my lunch." I facepalmed.

I basically only got 2 hours of sleep today after spending most of the night playing videogames.

I was so tired I forgot to take the money my mom left on the counter for me to take.

"I got you, sis." Slab grinned as he walked by our table.

He looked at Derby, a scowl on his face.

"Give me your lunch!" He commanded, Derby quickly obeying, and giving me his lunch.

I shook my head.

"Nah, it's okay." I shoved the lunch back to Derby.

"Really?" Derby and Slab asked in union.

I nodded.

"Wow, you're way nicer than Slab-"

"I wouldn't say that if I were you." Slab warned.

"Hey, you!" I said to a random kid that passed by us.

"Give me your lunch, nerd." I snarled.

The boy quickly handed me his lunch, I smiled as I grabbed the bag.

"Consider yourself a lucky one Derby."

Derby just watched in amazement as I ate my lunch.

Adam's POV

"I can't believe Mrs. Strawperson gave me an F on my math test! The question asked me to find the x of the triangle and I did find them!" Echo handed me her quiz for me to inspect.

"See?" She pointed at each math problem.

I cracked a smile when I looked at her answers.

"Maybe, it's because you literally circled all of the xs instead of actually solving the problems." I handed her back the paper.

"You're in luck though because its pretty simple to solve this mathematical problem using these simple steps. First, you should subtract the sum of the two angles from 180 degrees. Next, you-" I stopped my sentence when I noticed that Echo already started walking away.

I nodded.

"Alright, lets save the lessons for later." I agreed silently, before following her.

I stop in my tracks as I noticed that some guy started flirting with Echo.

It had to be one of those good looking jocks, and of course, it had to be one of the students I had.

They never seemed to give up with trying to flirt with Echo.

"Excuse me," I interjected, grabbing my girlfriend's hand.

"But Echo and I are have some mathematical problems to do."

"You didn't tell me you were friends with this nerd, Echo."

"Actually, he's my boyfriend." Echo corrected, I gave her a smile.

"Really? Come on, you can do better." He winked, Echo just rolled her eyes.

"I can say the same about your grades, Andrew." I spoke up.

"You're failing." I handed him his grades, the cafeteria making "oo" sounds.

"Its quite sad really. Because looks aren't going to take you anywhere in life."

Laughter started filling the cafeteria.

"If only your intelligence matched your appearance, then perhaps you would be passing."

"Ooooooh, you just got rekt by the kid teacher-" One of the kids in the cafeteria commented.

"Are you calling me stupid?" Andrew glared.

"I never called you anything, you called yourself stupid. I just simply stated the facts, your grades need some major improvement."

Echo shook me.

"Okay Adam, maybe you should stop." Echo whispered.

Andrew pulled be my collar.

"Woah, woah, woah don't forget I'm your teacher Mister-"

"You're no teacher, you're just some nerdy kid." He shoved me down.

"Andrew stop!" Echo yelled, getting in front of him.

"Wow, does Mr. 'Lady-like arms' need his girlfriend to fight his battles for him?"

I got up from the ground.

"No, I'm not going to fight a student." I said, because it's true, I wasn't planning on fighting with a student.. plus I wasn't much of a fighter either.

I was about to walk away with Echo but Andrew stopped me.

"Come on, why don't you show me what you got?" He asked.

"You're so quick to act like a smartass with everyone, but when it's time to fight, poor wittle Adam runs away."

"Fight, fight, fight!" The whole cafeteria started chanting together.

"Come on, I'm right here." Andrew encouraged, seeming confident.

I looked back at Echo, who looked like she really wanted me to do something back.

I take a deep breath, my heart pounding  but I decided if I didn't do anything I would probably just keep being the laughing stock of Finnegan High.

"Alright, you've left me no choice." I try to say in a threatening tone.

I hesitated as I rose a fist, of course it was caught by Andrew.

I gulped, since I knew where this was all going to end.