Ch 10 After detention

I look everywhere around campus. Surprisingly, they're still in school.

They're eating in the cafeteria as they talk about whatever.

Okay, Echo definitely still hasn't broken up with Adam.

But it's clear that she wants to when she just smiles weakly as Adam wraps an arm around her. Before he could lean towards her to kiss her she takes a bite of her strawberry sorbet.

I wait for them to finish, which wasn't too long since Echo seems like she's about to leave.

Adam seems sad about it but just nods.

I can't hear whatever excuses Echo gave him to leave since I'm like 40 feet away.

Adam finishes his sorbet before throwing the empty container away and starting to exit the cafeteria.

I'm quick to follow him, deciding to wait until he's outside the campus so I don't seem like a stalker.

When we're both outside the building, I wait a few seconds before I call his name.

"Mr. Young- erm.. Adam." I shout, pretending like I barely came out of the building.

Adam, who was way ahead of me, stops walking as he hears me.

"Oh hey." He slows down, letting me catch up to him.

"Can I talk to you about something?" I ask, rubbing the back of my neck.

Well, this was gonna be awkward, but he'll thank me for it. I'm sure.

"Sure, what's up?"

"Okay, uh.. First of all, from what I know, you're dating Echo?" I ask as I walk with him.

I can tell he has no idea what that has to do with anything, but he nods anyway.

"Yes, we are. Why?" He asks curiously.

"Okay um. So remember when she went to the restroom?"

I continue before he could say anything. "So I kinda overheard her talking with some of her friends. And well, they said pretty mean things about your guys' relationship."

Somehow I can tell the words Adam is hearing come out of my mouth are hurting him, but he manages to keep it professional like any other teacher by keeping his face neutral.

"And well it seemed like Echo's.." I trail off.

Ugh, why was this hard?

"Echo's... thinking about breaking up with you."

Adam says nothing for a few seconds, before realization of something seems to hit him.

"Okay I see what's going on. Are you saying this because of detention?"

I state at him in disbelief. "Are you kidding me? No."

He doesn't believe me.

"I'm sorry Slabinksy, but you know I don't make the rules. I'm just the teacher."

I pick up the pace as I notice Adam's walking starting to get faster.

I speed past him, before blocking his path to get his attention.

"I'm not saying it cus of that. I'm saying it cus I actually heard her say that!"

"Okay... thanks for the heads up. Now if you don't mind, I have to go do some work." I can tell by the tone of his voice he wasn't convinced.

I sigh and just let him leave as he walks around me.

"I know we just met and everything so I get why you wouldn't believe me. But I just wanted to tell you ahead of time so if she does do it, you expect it, or heck, maybe even do it yourself first."

He's slowing down, good.

"Cause if you ask me, you deserve better."

He's completely stopped in his tracks.

I feel nauseous.

I can't believe I said something so cheesy! To my teacher!

"I mean you're clearly some lovestruck loser and she's some shallow girl that cares way too much about what her friends think of her relationship."

He seems to be in a pensive state, before snapping out of it and continuing to walk away.

I notice him rushing towards a car parked nearby. Ivy's in the passenger's seat and it seems like she's getting ready to drive away.

"Don't say I didn't warn ya!" I shout to the car as it zooms away.

I sigh as I watch the car drive until it's out of sight.

At least I tried.