| 15 | The Battle of Hogwarts

A/N: I'm not that great at fight scenes, specifically large battle scenes. Sorry, in advance. Almost done!

1264 words

The Battle of Hogwarts was one to be remembered. If not for the valiant efforts of the students and staff, than for the fact that the demigods could defeat giants without the help of gods since they were altered forms of the Greek giants. More specifically, these giants could be killed if one were to throw a celestial bronze bowling ball at a giants head. Let's just say Leo Valdez had another nickname: Master of the Bowling Ball. It was ironic since he sucked at bowling.

Once they realized they could kill any of the monsters with just one critical hit, they wasted no time taking down their opponents. The field would have been a bloodbath if monsters bled instead of burst into dust. Strangely enough, the monsters only disappeared in gold dust if they were killed by demigod weapons. If they were taken down by spells, their body remained and blood was spilled. Thankfully, the demigods handled almost all of the monsters with relative ease. The real trouble was with the wizards.

The infirmary was packed and the metallic stench of blood hung in the air. Most were wizards, but a few younger demigods were there too. Apollo campers did their best to help, but they weren't accustomed to the wizard medicine or how to treat injuries from spells, so the most they could do is bandage the injured when needed.

Up on the seventh floor, Harry, Draco, Ron, and Hermione fell to the ground after escaping the Fiendfyre in the Room of Requirement.

"Glad you're all alive," a voice said from above them.

The four looked up to see their old professor.

"Percy? What are you doing inside the castle? I thought you were stationed on the grounds?"

"I need a quick word with you, Harry."

The three others started to walk away, but Percy called out to one of them. "And with you, Draco. Wait on the floor below, please."

Percy turned his attention to Harry again after Draco nodded in agreement.

"You're going to have a difficult choice ahead of you, Harry. I didn't know until I watched the memories Minerva just handed me. But nothing I could've taught you would have prepared you for this. I once told someone to welcome death with crossed arms. But I failed to remind them that death will embrace you even if you do not embrace him back." 

Harry was started to get worried. Percy was looking at him like a dead man. He was even talking about death. The possibility of him coming out of this alive suddenly dropped. Harry could only hope he'd die for his friends heroically.

Before Percy turned to talk to Draco, Harry said, "Thank you, by the way. For what you said those years ago. That Sirius's death... wasn't my fault."

Percy smiled lightly, "I'm glad you're coming to terms with the truth. Take care, Harry."

Harry nodded in thanks then rushed off to catch up with his friends. Percy made his way down the moving staircases to talk to Draco. The demigod looked saddened by the choices the wizard had made. The wizard looked conflicted and a little ashamed. Percy only had a few things to say.

"Our choices are our own, Draco. In this way, we create our own merit. You can continue on to please your father. Or you can work to be pleased with yourself. I will be pleased if you stay true to who you are."

Percy walked away after his short speech, not waiting for a response or reaction. He noticed Draco hadn't moved from the spot, though. He hoped his words got through to the young man. Draco didn't need to ruin his life for a father who would never be satisfied.

Percy was checking on how the battle was fairing when a sinister voice spoke in his head. By the looks of it, it spoke in everyone's head.

"You have fought," the cold voice reverberated through the stone walls, the ground below, and everyone's head, "valiantly. You have sssacrificed much, but victory is not in your grasssps."

Voldemort's raspy voice continued. Percy could hear children screaming in the distance.

"For every death, magical blood is wasssted. I do not wish for thisss. Therefore, I command my forccces to retreat, immediately. I shall give you one hour of peaccce. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured comradesss."

Just when Percy thought the horrible noise was over, Voldemort spoke again.

"I now ssspeak directly to you, Harry Potter. You have let your friends die in your placcce. They have spilled blood for you needlesssssly. Faccce me yourself in the forbidden foressst. You have one hour. If you do not show, the battle will commenccce. One hour, Harry Potter."

Then the voice was gone. The screaming stopped. The streams of light stopped. Black smoke flew up into the air away towards the forest, undoubtedly waiting with Voldemort for Harry Potter.

The boy who lived, soon to die.

Percy helped carry away the dead and bandage the wounded. He took count of the demigods under his charge and was happy none were dead or fatally injured. But the wizards were not so lucky.

Percy saw a blob of redheads and walked over to them. They were huddled around a body, all were crying. Percy noticed George's ear was bandaged and that their estranged brother, also named Percy, was kneeling on the ground sobbing.

When Percy Jackson saw that his friend, Fred Weasley, was the one they were crying over, dead on the floor, his vision tunneled. Hermione, who stood next to Ron, let him through. Soon the two Percy's were kneeling and weeping over Fred's body. But the demigod knew what it was like to lose a true friend, someone so close to you they felt like a sibling. So he pushed down the emotions and focused on the upcoming events.

He stood and embraced George who cried into Percy's shoulder. After a minute, Percy bent down and placed two drachmas on Fred's eyes and whispered a prayer to Hades. When the coins disappeared, Percy felt comfort that Fred would be taken care of in the underworld. George, having learned about the Greek world with legendary tales of heroes and gods, also felt a small bit of relief when the coins disappeared. He thanked Percy who embraced the grieving brother again.

Percy excused himself to let the family mourn their loss while he made rounds in the infirmary. The hour was almost up when he heard voices in the hallway. Peering through the doors, Percy knew it was Harry saying goodbye to Hermione and Ron. Not wanting to interrupt, he headed towards Draco instead.

"You stayed," Percy pointed out.

"I stayed," Draco confirmed.

"I'm glad."

"Me too."

"Good."

There wasn't much else for the two to say, so they remained in each other's company with familiar silence.

"I'll loose my father because of this choice."

"And what do you think of that?"

"It's... I don't care as much as I thought I would. I'd still have my mother."

Percy nodded in assent.

"You've made your choice. I believe it'll be for the better, but only you can make it so."

"Do you think I can? Be better, I mean."

"Without a doubt."

"Thank you, sir."

That got Percy to smile.

"Oh, please. Enough of that already. You can call me Percy. I don't want to be distanced by formalities."

Draco smiled back.

"Thank you, Percy."

Silence fell upon them once again. It didn't let up until shouts were heard from outside.