| 05 | New Friends

1691 words

All the teachers were already at Hogwarts making final preparations for the year. Percy hadn't started on a lesson plan, but he'd been coaching new campers in the arena for several years now. He planned to do what he's always done just at a much slower pace and with less maiming. Probably.

Percy quickly settled into a routine. He would train with his weapons before breakfast, learn from Dumbledore after breakfast, organize his lesson plans (with Annabeth's help) before lunch, and work with Dumbledore again after lunch. Percy trained his water powers secretly before dinner and was free to do as he pleased afterward. But a few days in, Severus Snape invited Percy to his classroom one evening.

"What can I do for you?

"I want to see your potion skills, Perseus."

"It's Percy," he said in exasperation. "And why should I show you anything? I'm not your student."

"So it seems. Most peculiar, I think. Dumbledore invites a prodigy wizard to teach. To teach about muggle weaponry? I was the first to regard you with skepticism, I still do; however, I've only seen you ever use non-verbal magic and you have an affinity for water-based elemental magic. I am now curious to see if your talents can be applied to the art of potion-making."

"Fine. On one condition. No. Two."

Snape thought for a moment before replying. "Very well. What are they?"

"One, you keep me informed on what's going on in the wizarding world. I'm dyslexic and can't read the stupid paper. Anything important, you tell me. It can be over meals since I'm seated next to you.

"And your second condition?" Snape said impatiently.

"That you teach me what there is to know about potion-making."

"You said it yourself, you are not my student."

"But I'd like to be. I can see how precise your every move is. I'm sure that's helpful to a Potions Master, though, I doubt Albus realizes just how skilled you are. He's a fool for not recognizing it. You're obviously intelligent and quick to act. You were very attentive to that potion... Veritaserum, was it? It was about to explode when you were focused on your soup the other day, but you managed to save it from doing so. You could do well with a sword, but I doubt you'd want to learn. So instead I'll learn from you."

Snape didn't acknowledge the compliments but did acknowledge Percy's comment about Dumbledore. "You're one of few to criticize Dumbledore. What gives you the right to call him a fool?"

"Don't tell me you don't agree."

"I don't deny that."

"Well, for one, I can tell he's using me. He's a grand manipulator. His seemingly caring facade only gets him what he wants. I just haven't figured out what he wants yet. He thinks me... daft? Did I use that word correctly? Anyway, I trust that his mind and maybe even heart is in the right place, but his actions are misguided at best."

"You're wiser than you look."

"Age can only go so far to influence experience, of which I have a lot. So? What do you say?"

Snape sighed, wondering what he was getting himself into. "I agree to your terms. We'll meet after dinner every day. But first. A demonstration to see how much you already know. I've got another batch of Veritaserum brewing. It should be done in three days. I want you to ensure it's still perfect by then. But for today, brew up a cauldron of the Draught of Living Death."

Snape went to his desk to pull out the books used by sixth years so Percy would know how it should be done, but to his surprise, Percy had already started grabbing the proper ingredients off the shelves.