Makani

I watch as the sun starts to set over the multiple huts and stone-cement houses. It was clear no one would sleep tonight, the arrival of two people, one male and one female made it clear. Their strong and confident figure was distinct from the moment they stepped off of the portal in the middle of the town. My brother and sister have finally arrived.

As the darkness starts to rise, the yellow lights start to illuminate my little town. My tribe is far from the mainland, and there are only a few of us here, about 500.

I run down the stone steps that lead to my home. It is located on Domum Hill, and has been the home of my family for multiple generations. My father leads our tribe at our head, while my mother oversees everything.

With the arrival of my siblings, I knew my time has now come. It is my turn to be called. Despite our geographical isolation, they still call us from our tiny island once we become of age to go through an ancestral rite and take our place in school. The twins, Lihau and Liliha have already gone through their selection. They have been the first of our tribe to go, as they are the first to have reached the age of sixteen. Everytime one of us is called, the tribe stays up all night celebrating and anticipating the news of the trial.

Lihau is connected with nature, and he can make plants bend towards him, as if they are listening to what he says. Liliha is with the stars and she says that she can dance with them. Their legacy stands before me, as I am expected to rise up to their standards, as the youngest daughter of the chief on our quaint island.

"Kani! My daughter! Come!" My father's booming voice rings throughout our large hut. I smile as I run towards the central room of the house.

"Yes, father?" I say.

"Kani, Lihau would like to talk to you. He and Liliha have returned back home for this special occasion."

"Yes father."

I slowly approached the room where Lihau and Liliha were waiting. I'm not sure what they have planned, but it must be significant, considering that they have taken a portal back to the island so that they could meet me. Lihau and Liliha are sitting on top of a palm bark bed, calmly waiting for me. Their dark curly hair and tan skin reflect the ideals of the island, and their serious stormy expressions reflect their intellect. I bit my lip, knowing that one day I will be expected to look and act the same as them.

"Makani, the time has come for you to join us and find your place at Sihir." Lihau says, as he gently lifts a pile of dark clothes.

"Your test is around the corner and we are required to bring you to the chosen place." Liliha smiles.

I fidget with my hands, wondering what they expected of me. I knew that the special trial was coming, and that I would need to pass with flying colors. I would need to find a strong bond with nature. I also knew that the selection had changed something in Liliha and Lihau, for the better or worse.

Liliha smiles as she gently extends her hand towards me. "Kani, come with me. I'll bring you there." As soon as I changed out of my garments, I was taken through the central portal to the mainland. Immediately I look around. There are so many people, boys and girls of different ethnicities surrounding me.

"Liliha!" I call. Where was she? I was alone, in a sea of people. I immediately race towards an open patch where I can see clearly and there are no other humans to cover me. Unfortunately I didn't quite make it there.

As I ran, I bumped into a boy who looked the same age as me. He had dark, almost black hair, brown eyes, and an almost pale complexion. He was strange, completely different from the people that I had met on the island. I was sure he was confused at my appearance too, rich coffee brown curls, and toffee colored skin. I took a moment to remind myself that beneath appearances were character and personality, which were far more important. As I slowly rise from the floor he does as well.

"I'm sorry," I tell him in English, as I brush the gravel off my clothes. I have learned English since I was a small child, for it was common knowledge that it was vital to communicate outside of our own island.

"It's fine," he replies, with a small smile.

"I was not watching where I was going, I was looking for my sister."

"It's too late to find her now. We are about to go into the next portal," he says as he dusts his clothes as well. "Come with me, I know how it works. My brothers have told me."

We are quickly pushed into the portal, as we converse, time seems to go quickly and we arrive at the other side of the portal. We are directed to a large dome, where we are told to enter a small metal door. He looks at me nervously.

"What do you think is beyond that door?"

"I'm sure that soon we will find out."

-

We pass through the door and enter a long hall, which is lit by torchlight. We have torches back home, but they couldn't be any more different. Ours are of bamboo, and release a woody fragrance that is pleasant. These torches were made of stone, with wood burnt at the top.

Finally as we walk through the channel, we can see the light on the other side. And the other side? It was glorious.

"Wow," breathes the boy as he gasps at the large circles in the center of the arena. There were rows and rows of seats all around, and they seemed to be endless. Almost every seat was filled with teens. The atmosphere was tense, and there was no chatter, which was not natural for this large of a group of kids.

We both choose a seat together, and we sit. There is a girl taking her test up front, and nothing seems to be happening, until a bright light shines down at her, and an elementum in the shape of a sun shines on her.

"Lau Kai." He nearly jumps in his seat as his name is called. He flashes a quick smile at me as he passes, and he gets up from his seat and slowly makes his way down to the center of the arena. I made a mental note so I could match his name to his face in case I met him later.

Kai stands in the middle, and he seems very bold. There is no trace of nervousness and a sort of certainty reflects over him. Slowly but surely, one elementum rises above the others. Rapid bursts of light and energy buzz him, and his aura burns a bright blue. His selection is done. His elementum is Lightning.

Kai sheepishly walks back up towards where we were sitting. The effects of the magic have worn off.

I hear my name being called, and I slowly descend down towards the center. Unlike Kai, I am nervous, and I am worried for what is to come.

Just as I step on the central circle, the whole arena starts to shake. The elementum are wobbling on top of their high pedestals. 'What's happening? Did I break it? No, certainly it wouldn't break that easily if it had been used for that long...' I thought to myself.

A sudden surge of air suddenly lifts me higher and higher, until I am at the top of the arena. I can see the vague outline of an elementum in front of me, but I can't make out what it is.

And then it is dark. I can sense that the people around me are uneasy, warily glancing at me. I can't see anything, but I can hear the hushed up voices, whispering of my uncertain fate.

"Kani!" I hear Lihau and Lilihas voices. I can also hear my mother and my father. Kani. I can hear Kai's voice.

Suddenly I am in a great big field. There are sunflowers that are blossoming around me, and I can tell that the sun is soon about to set, just like it did before.

There are whispers which surround me, and a breeze that floats around me. It feels cool on my skin. I feel myself being lifted higher and higher, and I am soaring through the air like a bird. The peace of the place soothes me.

A voice jerks me back to reality. There is an obvious nervousness in the audience, and I feel a pain in my shoulder. Kai has run down from his seat, and there are multiple people surrounding me. They look worried. I want to say that I'm ok, but my voice has failed me. The officials surrounding the place rush towards me, and after recognizing that Kai knows me, order him to lift me and follow them. Kai gently pulls me over his shoulders, and carries me as the officials direct him where to go. I try to whisper a thank you, but I can't.

The energy has left me.

I feel myself blacking out.

I am sure that I am not like the others...