Dani

I slid into the booth. The red plastic covering was beginning to tear, it seemed as if it had not been repaired for decades. It was used and abused, just how I liked it.

I looked up and forward. A waiter carried a few dirty dishes with a discerned look on their face. I wondered what the trouble was on this slow evening. Nothing worth my care, I thought.

I turned left. A seemingly exhausted couple and their child were sitting in aged wooden chairs. The child was slurping some fiedos (spanish noodles), and to be honest, it was disgusting. The parents looked amused however, so I concluded that it was not worth my while.

I took a deep breath. I had to do this, I had not eaten in days. I slowly raised my hand. My finger was rising, until suddenly, with a jolt, I shot my whole arm back down. I buried my head down. Why can't I just talk. It came so easy for everyone else. As I dwelled on this thought I heard a voice.

"Are you okay ma'am?" Shit. My abrupt action must have startled the waiter.

I pretended to be asleep. After a minute or so, I slid over to see if I could still see the waiter's shoes. To my dismay, they were still there. I slowly rose my head. Interaction was inevitable.

"I am okay, thank you" I responded. Quick and easy, hopefully he would leave now.

"Ma'am, not to be creepy, but I can't help but notice that you look around the age of 16, is this true?" he asked.

Why couldn't he just go away. Not to be creepy my ass. Well I guess it was better to answer his question.

"Yes."

"Are you not going to The Selection today then?"

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. SHIT. The Selection is today. Today! The day I have been dreading for the past 16 years was finally here, and I forgot about it.

I let out a loud groan. What was I going to do?

"Ma'am, do you have someone to take you to the portal?"

"No."

"Let me take you."

Oh heck no. I was not about to let the creepy waiter take me to a portal. But what choice did I have? I was underage and I had no one else to turn to.

"Ok fine, but if you try to pull something-"

"Just trust me. You need this. If you don't go, you will be in much bigger trouble."

I warily followed him down the road.

Nothing shady happened but when the waiter opened the portal, I stepped in faster than a speeding bullet. I was bombarded with a dizzying light show. After I reached the Square, I took a much larger portal. Portals were usually meant for fifteen people at the most but this one was so large hundreds fit in. I stumbled over a foot and grabbed onto someone's arm to stay balanced, causing them to lose their balance and almost topple onto me. My cheeks flushed hot pink. Why do I have to have such a telling skin tone? After I balance myself I look at the person who I almost knocked over. She has tan skin and disturbingly intense hazel eyes, her hair was ruffled with golden and ginger locks.

I start to feel a tingly sensation near my ears. What was this feeling? I can't feel this way. I

never feel this way.

"Hey" I heard a voice that I assume was hers. Oh shit, I can't do this.

"Hi," I reply.

"You okay? Are you hurt anywhere?"

"I'm good. I'm fine. What about you? Are you fine? I hope you are." I blabber, I can feel my face heating up. What is going on? I never act this way, let alone even peep a word.