1) Safe?

This is the second book for The Good Land, please read the first one if you haven't.
If you have, enjoy the first chapter.
Plus I think I would be able to update every 3 days if not then maybe once a week since I'll be studying like crazy.
Anyways, enjoy.
___

Don't stop. Don't look back. Keep running. Chaeryeong kept telling herself that. She did as she was told by her sister to run, she kept running away. South is the direction she went.

She was tired, but she knew if she did stop, she'll be captured by those... things. Those ravenous things came in and ripped the throats out of people. Cannibals they say, but it was only the start of something bad.
.
.
.
"Are you sure we need branches?" Nayeon asked Jihyo.
"If they need it to fuel for energy." She responded.
"Did you think that electricity is infinite?" Jeongyeon questioned the girl.
"I thought it was powered by something else."
"That's why people leave the settlement sometimes." Dahyun answered.
They continued with their work just carry enough scraps and wood for fuel. The sun started to set, another day within The Good Land.

Everything was good and they made it great.
"How long has it been?" Tzuyu asked.
"The people of The Good Land have always been keeping count, so for us it's about a year." Jihyo smiled.
"A year in this place... I'm quite happy." Chaeyoung said.
"Yeah, but I still think about the other two." Nayeon nodded.
The others mumbled in agreement, Sana and Momo decided to return back to their own settlement. That was their home, their company. But nothing seemed to change and their journey was never forgotten.
That's when they were caught off guard, unexpected for another long journey.

"Let's go back." Dahyun beckoned them as the mechanical door slowly lowered down into the sanctuary.
However, Chaeyoung stopped. Listening carefully, she closed her eyes and heard footsteps behind her. They were hefty steps that dragged onto the ground a sudden call for "Help!" got their attention.
They all turned around seeing a young girl sprinting for her life shouting the same word over and over.
"Help me!" She screamed as she tripped over her own foot. Both Mina and Jihyo rushed over to help.

"Are you okay?" Jihyo asked.
The girl panted and shook her head.
"Is someone chasing you?" Mina held her hand tightly.
The others stood back, Jeongyeon gripped a rock in her hand tightly and was ready for anything to happen.
"Calm down." Nayeon stood next to Jeongyeon and held her wrist.
"Get some water!" Chaeyoung called as Tzuyu went inside.

The girl panicked, sweat dripped from her forehead and eyes red as blood. Her scruffy clothing made it seem she was caught in some action.
"Everything is okay, no one is going to hurt you." Jihyo assured her and the girl breathed in deeply.
Tzuyu ran and kneeled near the girl and placed the bottle on her bottom lip.
In one full gulp, she was more calm. She looked around seeing seven people surround her.

"I... I'm sorry for troubling you." She muttered.
"Hey, it's okay." Jihyo lifted her back on her feet, "How are you feeling?"
"I'm okay, I guess. Thank you for aiding me." She smiled.
"Why were you running and shouting for help?" Jeongyeon asked.
"I was being chased... I kept running until I came here."
Nayeon looked at the direction the girl came from, "No one seems to be there."
The girl nodded, "Yes, but I kept my promise to keep running."

"Who?" Chaeyoung said.
The girl hesitated looking at their feet, can she trust them?
"My sister told me to run south towards Busan."
"Who are you and why are you going to Busan?" Jeongyeon growled.
"I..." She felt pressured, "My name is Lee Chaeryeong the only way to escape this country is Busan."
"Busan, you mean the port? I know why you want to leave, but leaving the country as a whole?" Jihyo questioned.

Chaeryeong gripped tight onto Jihyo's overalls.
"You don't understand, you know how these monsters are!"
"The Outsiders, they're douches, but not particularly monsters." Jeongyeon smirked.
Chaeryeong stepped back, "You haven't seen them, have you?"
"What are you on about?" Tzuyu asked.
"It's not safe here, it's been overrun by those monsters with corrupted minds. They're vicious, from afar they seem normal, but then the next they're eating you alive." Chaeryeong gasped for air.

The others stayed silent.
"Are you talking about the Outsiders cause I'm really confused." Chaeyoung said.
Chaeryeong shook her head and pointed in the direction she came from, "They're dead, everybody is all dead."
"Don't tell me, they're like zombies?" Mina asked.
Chaeryeong shook her head again, "They're nothing like it. They're alive, not undead."
"Well... I have to ask. Do they infect people?" Nayeon asked.
"Yes, but in the most disgusting way. They produce bile and make the person drink it. If you're not worthy, they just eat you alive. People who are infected can't talk because of the bile which blocks their voice box." Chaeryeong answered.

"How do we know you're not one of them?" Jeongyeon still gripped the rock in her hand.
"Excuse me?"
"Like you said, you said they seem normal human beings from a far. How can we know if you're not one of them?" Jeongyeon grasped onto her collar.
The others stood back.
"Their bloodlust, if you spend a certain amount of time around them, they'll start to kill. They can act normally, but their uncontrollable lust to kill can break their composure. Also, they can't speak, the bile prevents sound to be produced. They can only gargle." She explained.

"You know so much... why?" Chaeyoung asked.
Chaeryeong took a deep breath, she needed their trust, somehow they could help her, "I... I've seen experiments on them. How it started was two infected people, one man and one a girl. They tested on both of them, they were very similar and yet different. The girl had her skin peeling off whilst the man looked very human despite his ear was bitten off. She could talk to the other infected and order him around."

Chaeryeong continued, "They used lab animals, that why I know how they work."
"Why were you in a lab, aren't you too young?" Dahyun asked.
"Yes, but my sister and I met this man who took us in with his other scientists."
There was more to take in, the story as never-ending.
"Just two days ago the two infected broke out and started to turn the scientists like them. My sister told me to run and go to Busan. She said she'll meet me there."

"Let's say you did get to Busan, how would you leave South Korea?" Mina asked.
"By boat, the scientist who took us in said that's the way out."
They all started to doubt their safety, The Good Land was their only ticket to freedom and normality, but these infected were disturbing their peace and even death can't seem to stop. The only way to leave is Busan.