4) Get Back On Track

"Early in the morning... as they say, the early bird gets the worm." Dahyun closed her eyes, she put her hand towards the sun blocking the light from her face. She heard rustling behind her and quickly went back to her original position.
"Dahyun."
Dahyun turned around and held her breath, "Yuna, you're up." She gave her a sweet smile.
"I know you're putting on a smile." Yuna sighed, "But my parents said to always show our positive side."

Yuna leant on her shoulder and grabbed her hand.
"I just pray that their souls will live on." She clenched her fist, biting her tongue, "I... remember they said to not... mourn them."
A small tear ran down her face, almost setting Dahyun off. Yuna placed her hand on her chest feeling a bump. She pulled down her zipper showing a small locket with her last name 'Shin'.
"They gave me this as they said that, and I would always be ready for whenever that day of mourning comes."

Dahyun nodded, "My parents said the same thing... They said to be happy and live on. No looking back. It would only prevent growth..." She slightly smiled looked at her soft pale hands, "Wherever they are, they'll be near us."
Dahyun held Yuna tight in her arms, never thinking of taking the mother role. She had promised to keep everyone safe, but in the world she lived now; she had no way of keeping them safe without hurting herself.

They had to keep moving, if they stop they'll surely get caught.
As the others started to wake, Sana handed out dried beans whilst walking.
Chaeyoung sighed, "I'll miss the processed meat." She sucked it up and threw the beans in her mouth.
"Aren't you lucky, at least you had meat." Sana scoffed.
Chaeyoung covered her mouth, realising what she had said.
"It seems like you guys lost your survival touch." Momo chuckled.
"A year does change you in some ways." Dahyun smiled.

The outside seemed more peaceful than last time, the overpowering nature was beautiful despite being in danger at any time. They are in a part of South Korea where it's more rural, the immaculate ground was untouched only to be disturbed by the wind. It must've been the start of summer, the blaring sun blinded their eyes.

"I want to ask, are we going the right way?" Ryujin asked.
Sana held up her hand, "Yep" there in her hand was a compass.
"You still kept it." Jihyo smiled.
"Of course, and I still kept that bracelet you gave me."
They all separated into group, side by side talking about anything to pass time and to distract themselves from her pain in their feet.

Whilst Jihyo and Jeongyeon led the group; right at the back, Chaeryeong, Yuna and Ryujin just as if they were nearly bound best friends, they clung onto each other. They came to a pathway nearing a town.
"Hey it's a town!" Nayeon called.
"Nice, I guess we can see what's in there." Chaeryeong said.
"So... we're stealing." Yuna whispered.
"More like looting, everyone could have abandoned it, most people are in a separate settlement or..." Jeongyeon stopped before saying the last word.

"H-Hey at least we can get more stuff for our travels." Ryujin joined in.
"That's true, we should split into groups to cover more ground." Mina suggested already pairing up with Chaeyoung.
"Alright, but we have to be quick or else those infected will catch up to us." Jihyo said.
"I'll go with these two." Chaeryeong said excitedly, tugging the ones who were always side by side.
"Who wants to go with me?" Momo asked.
"Me!" A whole chorus of voices simultaneously sprang out of Chaeyoung, Dahyun and Mina who raised their hands.

"What about me?" Jihyo asked.
"I'll go." Sana smiled.
"I-I'll come too!" Tzuyu joined in.
That left with the two eldest of the group, Nayeon and Jeongyeon.
"We can't stay for long so just grab and go, if you're in danger just call, okay?" Jihyo looked at each and one of them. They all nodded in unison and parted their ways.
.
.
.
Chaeryeong raced up ahead hopping up and down like an excited bunny.
"Come on, let's search everything."
"Sure, but let's slow down." Ryujin led Yuna to where Chaeryeong stopped in front of a plastic garden shed clearly isolated.
"What's this doing all on its own in the middle of the garden?" Ryujin questioned.
"There might be tools we could use in there, but the door is locked." Pulling onto the handle, Chaeryeong pointed at the metal padlock.