12) A Desolate Place

Hours had past and the first watchers were still wide awake surprising they were energetic. It was time for them to leave and continue their journey. A strange conversation had struck up whilst they had exited the town's vicinity. No one knew how they had turn to the topic of English names, suggesting names for each person.
It was random at first, but everyone contributed to assign names to some. Yeji was called Lucy, Chaeryeong, shyly was called Judy. Ryujin was gladly to be called Joanne as Lia was called Julia easily enough. Yuna, who earned herself a crowd of laughter from her friends as she called herself Hussey, she liked it despite being laughed at.

The others didn't seem to want or given one. Some though, had already English names given to them. Chaeyoung's baptismal name was Katarina, it was very unique. Mina was called Sharon, a perfect name for a perfect girl. Tzuyu was the one that surprised them never thinking she would have one, her English name was Sally.

The others took a liking to their English names more than their birth names. It took their minds off from worry and kept morale high. They kept on walking and then, it had gotten to a certain point in their destination that the atmosphere changed. The green grass was now turned dead in murky yellow colour, the air felt more heavy as dust started to whirl around them.

"Where are we?" Yuna asked. They stopped and looked around, a large pile of wet dirt was placed on one side where the excavators were parked. Climbing over, a huge dig site was what they saw.
"What happened here?" Chaeyoung whispered.
"They were digging up something, but what was it?" Sana slid down safely with the others following her.
Luckily, slopes allowed them to travel safely around the site.
The dirt felt soft under their feet due to the storm, but it was not touched for a long time, the excavators and shovels were left on the surface as if they had abandoned it all. Due to rust it was not kept under surveillance, no surprise there.

They further explored deeper, no single ore was found nor was anything valuable. The question still stands, why were they digging?
"This feels like they've found something big, but nothing." Jihyo sighed.
"Maybe they've already found it." Ryujin spoke.
"That could be the case, but it's unusual how they left everything." Yeji knelt down as her eyes followed the tracks of the excavators.

When nothing was found, Jeongyeon had been examining all the excavators. It had to be true that everything was left in a hurry, the door was unlocked and keys were left inside. Though it had no gas, Jeongyeon climbed inside searching for anything useful. Then, that's when she saw it. A large bag under the seat, she reached down and pulled it out.

Nothing had touched the duffle bag except dust particles lying around. It was in good condition, she opened the zipper and inside was some shoes, a bright yellow vest and a hard hat. Thinking it was just a builder's typical equipment, Jeongyeon tipped the bag upside down as a book fell out of it as did everything else.

She picked it up and wiped the dirt off it. She carefully inspected the book. She flicked through the pages to see some were ripped out as well as all of the pages being filled. It was a journal entry, each few pages had a key date. Jeongyeon and recognised the handwriting before and the signature after every entry.
That's when she realised it was her own fathers journal. She had given this journal for her father as a present shortly before he had left. Jeongyeon believed that he left no evidence to his whereabouts, but this journal could point the direction he would be.

But why all of a sudden she wanted to see him? He left her and her sister all alone, their mother already passed and her father was always too involved with his work. Why would she want to see him? Would he still be alive?

Jeongyeon closed the journal and placed it inside her jacket.
"Jeongyeon!" Nayeon called.
"I'm here." She ran towards her dropping the bag as she went.
"D-Did you find something?" Nayeon peered past her, seeing the dropped helmet.
"I just found workers equipment." Jeongyeon straightened her body as her arm folded.
"Alright, we're just about be finished here." Nayeon said.

The girls gathered together, Ryujin and Chaeryeong had acquired themselves with a newly weapon, a shovel. When everyone else was set, they looked down the road as it endlessly continued to be plain. No greenery or buildings that caught their eye. It went on forever.
"Where is this place?" Yuna asked.
"Every part of the hills have been reared apart, I wonder what they were trying to find." Jihyo sighed and started to move along as the group followed.

Maybe the journal knows. Jeongyeon kept it hidden in her jacket for a while, the answers could be inside. Though, was she ready to see what her father had done after all these years?
What if he had been caught up in shady businesses?
She knew the journal had to be kept away from her friends until she knew what was in it first. If it was good or bad, she'll tell them, but not now it's too early even for her. Jeongyeon had to wait for the right time to see for herself.
___
Thank you guys for 1k!

___Thank you guys for 1k!