Chapter 62 - now

My group now has art therapy with Bernadette's group. Of all the other supervisors, Bernadette is my least favourite. She's abrasive. She's worked in the mental health system for three decades and treats me as if I know nothing. She's the old school, rough around the edges, bossy boots type of lady who has no sentiment. She talks to her clients with authority and condescension.

Yvonne is in her group. I try to avoid her, as it's strange having someone here who existed in my past life.

Yvonne comes over, while I'm helping Anita with a collage work. 'You ever hear from Millie?' she asks.

I put the glue stick down. 'No.'

'What happened to the two of you? You used to be so close. Thick as thieves. Twins. I never saw either of you without the other.'

'We drifted,' I say. 'When we got married.'

'I heard her husband was really hot. With a face like a Hollywood actor.'

'Yeah, he was okay looking,' I say. 'I haven't seen her in four years.'

'You and Millie were so exclusive together. It was cruel,' Yvonne says. I look up at Bernadette, urging her to come over and steer the conversation, but she's busy with an older lady who's crying over something that has happened to her collage. 'I thought the two of you were going to be lifelong friends,' Yvonne continues.

It's like Yvonne has taken a blade and cut 'Millie' into my skin. It hurts too much just to think about her. A best friend is a precious gem and I'd lost mine too easily. Had I been too obnoxious, too stuck in my own ways to grow with Millie? Maybe I could have let her new interests become my new interests. We could have grown up together.

'You were always so far up your own ass,' Yvonne continues, 'like you were too good for everyone. Wearing those outfits, like you were the bees knees. Now look at you.'

My hands become shaky. I could hardly remember Yvonne from school. She'd just been the girl who'd disappeared. How come she knew so much about me? I'd hardly noticed her. Perhaps she was right. I was so far up my own ass, I hadn't even noticed other girls in my year level. And now, here I was alone. No family. No best friend. No husband. No lover. No friend. Maybe it was all my own doing.

Bernadette comes over. 'Yvonne, what are you doing?'

'Just talking to Sylvie.'

'It's not talking it's doing time. Get to it.'

I turn back to Anita, picking up the children's scissors. 'Here let me do that for you,' I say.

'Sylvie! Let her do her own work,' Bernadette yells sternly, even though Anita is in my group.

I'll have to talk to the Director about Bernadette. She's out of line again.