Chapter 56 - then

Finally, Jarvis called. His voice was unsteady, 'Sylvie, it's Jarvis.'

'How are you?'

'I'm good. I'm sorry it's taken me this long. Nina's been sniffing around. She's been asking all these questions. I'm having to be careful.'

'Oh,' I said. This was very different to my experience with Alistair.

'I miss you so much. This is killing me. I wish I could be with you. But I'm trapped here, in Sydney.'

'It's okay, there's no rush with these things. I'm not going anywhere.'

'I feel like I can't breathe without you. And when I'm with Nina, I'm on edge all the time. Sorry ... this is so intense ... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ... How are you?'

'I'm fine ... I'm missing you. Every minute. I'm just trying to get on with things, I guess.'

'So what happens now?' he asked. He sounded so sweet, so unsure.

'We wait until it's safe to see each other again. Maybe I could come to Sydney?'

'I don't know. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable here.'

'Do you think you can get away again?'

'I'll try. Let me work on it.'

We were both silent. It felt insubstantial to talk about our week or the weather. All I wanted to tell him was how much I wanted to possess him, totally and wholly for myself. Hearing his voice was like a dog whimpering at the back door. I wanted to let him inside of me.

'Sylvie, I love you. I love your bones. I'm not kidding here.'

'I love you too. Completely. We'll find a way to make this work.'