Hearts On Fire

After having the situation explained to him, Ryder knew what he needed to do. Racing to the Lookout, he took the elevator down to the one floor he hoped he'd never have to visit. When the doors opened, he approached the set of drawers lining the wall. With a shaky breath, he pressed one of the buttons and the mechanics within whined softly before the air compressed drawer slid open with a hiss of steam blowing out. The brunette's eyes widened. Holy shit... dad wasn't kidding around. 

Before him, a high caliber magnum 338 sniper rifle was placed within the drawer alongside a small magazine of ammunition. The boy hesitantly brought his hands up, delicately taking the firearm from its cutout in the foam as if it was made of glass. The steel barrel was cold to the touch, and had significant weight to it. Looking it over, he realized just how powerful the weapon he was brandishing was. ShadowTrax 8 was etched into the long silver barrel, and the rest of the gun's length was housed in dark grey and black steel. Sitting on the top was a detachable nigh vision scope with a glowing blue lens. Sitting at the tip was a dropdown red laser sight.

"Only in the most extreme of circumstances~" the words of Ryder's father echo in his head.

This is an extreme situation right? I never thought I'd have to use this anyway, but...my team is in serious trouble and I'm not taking any chances. He grabbed the mag from the drawer. He learned a long time ago to shoot it under his father's supervision but it had clearly been upgraded since he last shot it. He was given it but told to keep it safely locked away unless desperately needed.

Thanks, dad...

He opened another drawer, grabbing a strap to clip to the rifle before shouldering it. Finally, he pulled an arm gauntlet out. The special sleeve was designed to reduce pain from the powerful kickback when firing. It had strips of blue which glowed in the dark with the same hue that illuminated the scope. The boy suited up with a grim scowl on his face. Time to protect my town.

----------------------------------------------------------------

~Back at the clifftops~

"YOU MONSTER," Rocky screamed in pure hatred, tears streaming down his face.

The mixed breed couldn't take his eyes off his brother, who was sprawled out on the cold rock bleeding heavily, unable to move. He hardly realized Brutus was backing him towards the edge until he felt it crumble under his back paws.

"It's nothing personal, pup...this isn't your doing, it's your brother's."

-"HE'S SORRY! PLEASE JUST LET US GO, I NEED TO SAVE HIM!" the mix begged.

"It's too late for that."

Rocky swung out trying to put up a fight but the larger dog swatted him back. He shoved Rocky to the edge and pinned him down with a heavy paw so that his head was hanging out over the edge. The mixed breed begged and squirmed for his life, but he knew it was too late. This was it for him and Axel... until a familiar voice rang out from a few yards away.

"GET THE HELL OFF OF HIM, DUDE!"

Brutus eased his weight on Rocky, turning around in annoyance to find the chocolate lab staring back. He growled angrily before harshly yanking the pup's face up close to his. "I'll be right back," he hissed before slamming Rocky's head into the ground harshly. "Zuma... n-no~" the mix croaked in pain struggling to not lose consciousness.

The brown pup raced towards the bigger dog, any fear he might've had now replaced by blazing determination to protect Rocky. When Brutus took a swipe at him, he managed to dodge it before latching on to the bigger dog's shoulder, sinking his teeth in as hard as he could till he tasted blood. He earned a grunt of pain before being shook off roughly. The bigger dog staggered back with a growl. "I'm not in the mood, pup. Get lost before this gets ugly for you too."