Flashpoint

Back to the present after Rocky's flashback story~

"So that's how it all happened," Zuma murmured in awe and disbelief. The lab swore he heard a sniffle come out of Marshall, who very quickly wiped his nose with a paw. Rocky held his eyes closed, waiting to be pelted with questions and ridicule, yet none came. His backstory left every pup sitting in the grassy field speechless. The mix looked up from the ground to take in everyone's faces around him. Chase's face was one of faint sympathy that you'd miss if you blinked. The German Shepherd had never been good at showing emotions and sympathy, but even this made him feel a bit bad for Rocky. Marshall and Skye couldn't bring their heads up as their stares stayed on the ground, ears drooping. When Rocky swept his gaze over to Zuma, he held it with him, the only pup staring back. The Labrador's golden eyes bore straight into Rocky's, which were illuminated a warm orange amber in the dying sunlight.

The more you tell me about yourself, the more my heart breaks, Zuma thought sadly. I look into those beautiful eyes, and I see so much pain. After all that, you're still here... how are you so strong?

Ryder had been silently sitting in his chair, taking in every word. And I thought the other pups had it bad... but if Rocky had a brother, what happened to him?

An awkward silence hung in the air, aside from the evening crickets chirping all around, hidden in the cool grass. No one was really sure what to say after that. The lack of response bothered Rocky, making him very uneasy. Luckily, Ryder broke the silence, "It all makes sense now... I'm so sorry, Rocky. That's no way for a sweet pup to have to live. So you were on the streets for two years, weren't you?" The mixed breed gave a slow, self conscious nod in response.

Just before Rocky was about to change topics, Marshall piped up from his spot in the circle. "Wait, but Rocky, where's your brother now then? If you both left the owners then how come we only found yo-" The dally was cut short when Skye gave him a shove in the side. "Shut it, Marshall," the Cockapoo hissed quietly. "What!?" Marshall asked, totally clueless to how nosy he was being about a sensitive topic.

Rocky felt the blood drain from his face, his paws growing sweaty as his anxiety skyrocketed. Fortunately, the mix was saved from a panic attack by a high pitched ring emitting from Ryder's pocket. The boy fumbled around for the device before pulling out his pup-pad, which was flashing blue on the bright screen.

"Sorry pups, I hate to cut the talk short, but I think we're needed for a rescue." When he answered the call, a tall, thin man with glasses was on the other end, looking extremely panicked. "Ryder, boy am I glad to see you! Francois is in a dangerously disastrous doozy. He and I were photographing a rare bird at the cliffs; he was leaning over the water to get a better shot and he fell! He caught himself on a branch sticking out further down, but it won't hold for long. Help!!!!"

"Don't worry Captain Turbot, no job is too big, no pup is too small! We're on our way."

Saved by the bell, er, pup pad, Rocky thought with a sigh of relief. Chase jumped to his paws at the alert, "Come on pups, to the cliffs," he barked. The boy stopped the Shepherd heading toward his vehicle. "Actually Chase, I think Skye, Zuma, and I can handle this on our own. Mayor Goodway needed you and Marshall's help this afternoon, remember? Help her and then meet us at the cliffs when you're done." Chase nodded in understanding before he and the dally took off towards city hall.

Ryder and Skye mounted their vehicles and sped off ahead of Zuma. Before heading out, Zuma made his way over to Rocky, who was still sitting in the grass. The mix shyly looked up to the lab now sitting in front of him bearing a toothy smile. "Wocky... I'm-"