Reunited- The Road Ahead

It can’t be… but... h-how?

Rocky thought he must’ve been dreaming, that there was no way his long lost brother was sitting a few yards away from him. The sound of pawsteps pounding towards him brought him back to reality. His own paws moved in the direction of the other dog as he walked closer, still unable to fully form words or thoughts.

The closer he got, the faster he now ran to get to his brother. Rocky was met with a tackle to the ground and the larger dog licking him all over the face causing him to giggle. The mix felt tears of joy building up as Axel pulled him into a tight hug. “I- I can’t believe it’s really y-you~” he said as he let the tears of disbelief fall.

“It’s me, little bro. I’m right here, it's me.” Axel cooed softly as he hugged Rocky tighter to him with the biggest smile painted on his muzzle. Rocky squeezed back and buried his muzzle in Axel’s fur, as if he couldn’t get close enough. Several minutes passed, neither one moving a muscle as they took in the comfort and warmth of being reunited after so long. The embrace laid bare every moment of missing each other for years which were now finally being relieved. Axel finally pulled away to look over Rocky’s face. “Wow... you’re all grown up, look at you…” he said in surprise, a hint of sadness lingering in his tone.

“Forget about me!” Rocky exclaimed. “How are you even here right now? You should be dead! Back at the cliff that night… I- I saw you fall!” His face suddenly fell in guilt and shame, “I wanted to try to get down there and save you- I just- I was too scared and I froze up and I just-”

“Hey, hey stop it Rocky” Axel silenced him with a paw to his lips. “You did the right thing getting out of there, okay? You could’ve died trying to help me, you made the right choice!”

“B-but I just left you down there, Axel!” he whined as his breathing got shaky. “I didn’t even try-” 

The larger dog silenced him again with a tight embrace. “Shhh, stop it, Rocky, I’m here now and that’s what matters right? There was nothing you could’ve done without risking your own life too, I’m just so happy to see you again! Always worrying about other people before yourself… you haven’t changed a bit,” Axel smiled. When he pulled away, he could tell his little brother was still in shock at what was happening. “You look like you’re about to pass out,” he laughed. “Follow me, let’s get some food and catch up, I think we both have a million things to ask each other.”

Yeah, Rocky breathed as he followed his brother. You have no idea...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Axel had found a run down building on the edge of Foggy Bottom. Rocky guessed it was once used as a boat house for fishers to dock their boats and spend time in. It had a few tables scattered here and there, a wall full of tools and pieces of boat siding, and the rotted skeletons of small fish strewn about the floor. On the fact that it stunk like seafood and rotten fish, they sat outside on the grassy edge overlooking the water. Rocky quietly stared at his paws, unable to speak. He wasn’t sure if he was still just stunned from earlier or if he was afraid to look up and Axel be gone. His older brother observed him from the side with a warm grin, amused by the shyness. “Want me to go first then?” Axel spoke up, breaking the silence.

Rocky laughed awkwardly, “S-sure, sorry I’m just- I’m trying to get my head around all this” he said in embarrassment. "So… how are you... still alive? What happened after you fell? Where have you been all this time? Did you try to find me?”

“Woah,  I didn’t agree to playing 20 questions,” Axel chuckled. “I know you have a lot to ask so let’s start with the last time I saw you, deal?”