Stairs

Jamie hated stairs. There was nothing about them that she liked. She would literally rather climb up the side of a building than run up a flight of stairs.

Unfortunately, that wasn't an option at the moment because every person that she needed to follow had also taken the fucking stairs.

The last few steps felt like torture for the girl who had done almost nothing but run around that day, and she really wished she felt confident in trying to teleport or "apparate," but after the terrifying things that happened when Harry Potter characters messed it up she wasn't going to risk it until she was ready.

Or things were desperate enough for her to risk spontaneous amputation.

There were even warnings in her mother's old spell book in bright red; that's how you know it's serious.

Finally reaching the top of the building, she slammed the door open just in time to hear Scott pleading with Sean to let them help him. Jamie wished it was that easy.

"You don't need to do this," the alpha said as calmly as he could manage. "Whatever it is, whatever you are, we can help you."

"No, you can't."

Sean had the new kid, Liam, by the neck, and Jamie knew that this was not going to end well for someone on this roof.

"Let me help you," Scott pleaded, desperate for this to end well for everybody involved.

But it was too late. Sean hadn't eaten anything recently and had long since abandoned rational thought.

He was going to kill someone, and Jamie knew it.

Which meant that it was her job to stop it.

It always would be.

She tried to creep around while Scott still had Sean's attention, hiding behind any clunky junction box or other obstacles as best as she could.

She got about ten feet away when Sean growled out, "Wendigos don't need help, we need food," and went to throw Liam over the side of the building.

Scott took off after Liam, trying to catch him before he could fall to his death. And Jamie, as one does in her profession, ran to tackle the wendigo away from the other two and give Scott a chance to save Liam in peace.

Luckily for all of those on the side of life that night, Liam had managed to grab onto the edge of the roof as he was being thrown, but he was still dangling precariously over the side.

Scott began pulling him up while Jamie distracted Sean.

She was doing pretty well, all things considered, until the dude body-slammed her.

Jamie laid there stunned for a moment, trying to force her lungs to breathe again.

'Stupid,' she mentally chastised, still unable to get her lungs to function like normal. 'You got too distracted with the teeth and he got the upper hand.'

In the time that it took her to get her bearings once more, Sean had made his way over to the two other boys and had somehow managed to pin Scott's arms behind his back.

Liam was falling, Scott had no free hands, and Jamie hadn't even gotten herself off of the ground.

She heard Liam scream that he couldn't hold on and everything seemed to move in slow motion.

She couldn't think of a spell that wouldn't hurt or at least distract Scott too, which was the last thing she wanted right then, so Jamie pulled the knife from her boot and threw it at Sean's back at the same time that Scott went to catch Liam by biting him.