Pancakes

Chapter 2

Pancakes

Jamie woke up to a slap on her shoulder. "Wake up," said Olivia. "We're here."

Jamie woke up, rubbing her eyes slightly and seeing a motel out the window of the car.

"Which state are we in?"

"Oregan. Specifically Medford, Oregan." Olivia got out of the car, Jamie following, and opened the trunk to get their duffel bags out. "You were asleep for about an hour." Meaning they had been on the road for seven hours straight. No wonder Jamie had wanted to jump out of the car.

As soon as the sisters grabbed everything, Jamie closed the trunk and they made their way up to the front of the motel.

Olivia got them a room for the night and they walked in.

It was a pretty bad motel, but it wasn't the worst they had seen. There was this one in Louisiana that was horrible; the locks on the doors didn't work, there were roaches, and there was a rumor of a ghost on the second floor.

She was supposedly pretty nice though, so Jamie didn't mind.

Anyways, the two sisters threw their duffle bags on the floor and plopped down on the mattresses. Both of them were out before their heads hit their pillows.

⊱╮ღ꧁꧂ღ╭⊱

Waking up the next morning, the very first thing Jamie realized was that she could still hear her sister snoring on her left.

She checked the time on the cheap digital clock and saw that it was 7:45 in the morning-- the latest she had slept in months.

Sighing, she untangled herself from the covers on the bed and stood up. She took a shower, careful not to use all of the hot water, and changed into a blue long-sleeved shirt, a black skirt with tights underneath, a black jacket with a pocket knife in the pocket, and her classic black boots.

Walking back to where the beds were, she grabbed her wand from under the pillow and tucked it into her shoe. She decided against waking her sister and grabbed her phone and wallet as she crept towards the door silently.

Not that how quiet she was really mattered, Olivia could sleep through a bomb going off if she really wanted to. Nevertheless, she tried to remain quiet as she left the motel and made her way to the nearest diner.

During her search, she pondered the different names that she and her sister had used over the years. They changed names so often that it became a habit of the two of them to only call each other by their current name; that way they couldn't make a mistake in front of other people.

Most teenagers can't say that they haven't used or heard their own name in over five years.

And Olivia, not having the same power that she did, had practically fried her hair by dying it so much. They eventually decided that she should just cut it short and that, if she really felt it was necessary, she could wear a wig. But hunters were usually only after her, not her sister.

After caving and asking for directions, she found a diner.

The place was named Debbie's Diner, and it looked exactly how a classic, stereotypical diner would look. She even heard a little bell jingle as she walked inside.

She walked up to the counter and waited patiently for someone to take her order.

"Hi," a perky woman with greying hair, which at one point was blonde, greeted her. "Welcome to Debbie's Diner. My name's Mabel. How can I help you today, sweetie?"