11. The Reluctant Queen

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Kaylea Wolf gave him a puzzled look. "What did you say?"

Thorin Oakenshield smiled at her. "It is an old expression. What are you thinking about?"

"Ah!" Kaylea said, but she did not answer. They were walking hand in hand along the gallery that overlooked the Hall of Kings. It was late, the city was quiet around them as they walked out towards the gate, taking the long way back to Thorin's quarters. Tonight had been the last rehearsal and formal dinner before Kaylea's coronation as Queen of Erebor, after the crowded dining hall and so many hours of keeping up appearances it was nice to enjoy a quiet moment together. Thorin studied her closely as they walked, he could tell something was troubling her. He felt a little stab of anxiety start to rise in his chest.

"Not having second thoughts, I hope," he said, watching for her reaction.

Kaylea opened her mouth to speak, then smiled and shook her head. She squeezed his hand as they stepped out onto the rampart over the gates of Erebor.

"Please tell me what it is, my love!" Thorin moved in front of her, taking her other hand in his. His eyes searched her face, looking for any clue.

"Not second thoughts," Kaylea said slowly. "But becoming your queen does scare me."

Thorin could not stop himself from laughing. "You? Afraid? I have seen you face armies of goblins, ranks of armored cave trolls and even Ringwraiths with a smile on your face. How can you be afraid of a crown?"

Kaylea smiled at him, shaking her head. "That is different. I have trained to face death all my life, I do not fear it. I know any day could be my last." She looked past him, at the moonlit vale that stretched out from the slopes of the mountain. "I have not trained to be a queen, I worry that I will disappoint you."

Thorin brought her hands together in his. "You cannot disappoint me. You could never do that."

"You say that because it is so easy for you," Kaylea said. "You were born a king, you have been one all your life, for you it is as natural as breathing. This is not a part I ever expected to play."

Thorin looked down at her hands in his, the rings he had made for her, the jewels on her dress sparkling in the light from the braziers. "Please do not say fear will keep you from becoming my queen."

"Fear is a four-letter word that I refuse to cower to," Kaylea said simply. "I am afraid, but I will go forward and conquer it, as I have trained to do."

Thorin smiled widely. "There is my warrior queen, I was wondering where she had gone!" He kissed her hands, breathing a little sigh of relief. All he had wanted from the day he met her was to make Kaylea Wolf his queen, now that the time was at hand he was not about to let her change her mind. She had told him many times she was not destined to be a queen. Thorin had always thought it was because she would rather be commanding armies, it had never occurred to him she felt herself unfit.

Kaylea smiled softly at him, she brought her hand up to the side of his face. "I still cannot believe I let you talk me into this."

Thorin put his hand over hers, smiling at her mischievously. "You know I can be very persuasive." He chuckled. "It still took me nearly eighty years, you are almost as stubborn as a Dwarf!"

"That is high praise indeed!" Kaylea took his hand and resumed walking along the top of the gate. It was a pleasant late summer night, just a hint of chill in the air, the moon nearly full. The guards they encountered bowed low as they passed, a few of them offering congratulations. Thorin acknowledged them politely with a nod, he did very much enjoy walking around his city with the prettiest woman in Middle Earth on his arm. They turned away from the night, into the torchlit corridors that would lead to Thorin's apartments.

"You will tell me if there is anything I can do to make this easier for you," Thorin said quietly, folding her arm over his. "You are about to make me the happiest Dwarf that ever lived, I hate to think it gives you no joy."

Kaylea stopped, turning to face him. "I did not say that. It makes me happy to see you happy, and I have long promised we will one day live together as man and wife. I have known the price is to play a role I never wanted, but I am happy to pay it."

"Try not to sound so excited on my account!" Thorin frowned. "I do not know why I had to fall in love with a woman who has no interest in title or position, who cares nothing for riches or jewelry, whose closet contains only seven sets of the same pair of clothes and a frankly astonishing number of knives." He sighed.

Kaylea leaned forward and kissed him. "I love you body and soul, my king. Believe me when I say I am happy to be your queen, though it does scare me a little." She smiled widely at him. "As for the rest...well, they say opposites attract."

Thorin laughed. "Is that what they say?" He stroked her hair, his fingers lingering on the jeweled beads. "Do they also say opposites can be happy together?"

"They will be blissfully happy," Kaylea answered. Thorin slid his hand behind her head and brought her mouth down to his, kissing her deeply and passionately, a promise of many happy years to come.