7. The Key

It has been a bit of a running joke in The Warrior and The King stories that Thorin has a closet full of clothes while Kaylea always wears the same thing. 

From a writing prompt: "If the stars fell from the sky, it is because they are weeping because I received your love and they did not."

_______________________________________________________________________________

Spice traders had set out their wares in the square, brightly colored pyramids lined up on the flagstones under temporary awnings. Saffron, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, veiled women carefully filling glass containers as their menfolk haggled. The wagons of the salt merchants were lined up beside them, blocks stacked high like bricks, in the next aisles were bakers, butchers, farmers from across Gondor and beyond. Past the square was the permanent market of Osgiliath, long corridors of merchant stalls where one could buy anything imaginable. Southron carpets, Gondor steel, fine porcelain from Lebennin, honey and tobacco leaf from the Shire, spectacular jewelry from the kingdoms of the Dwarves, silks from across the sea. The market was famous as the center of trade for the southern lands of Middle Earth.

Kaylea Wolf finished her conversation with the Rhun leather trader, paid the man and stepped out of the stall. She looked for Thorin but he had disappeared, again. She scanned the hallway wondering where he had gone this time. With the arrival of the caravans the market was far busier than usual, the corridors crowded with tradesmen and merchants. Kaylea was only here to meet a couple of contacts and purchase a few supplies, she had expected to quickly conclude her business and leave. However, she was finding out that Thorin Oakenshield had other ideas. She found him far down the hall, bargaining for a fine pair of leather boots.

"Are you quite finished?" She asked him as she came up. Thorin had several silk shirts, a bolt of cashmere and a number of fine furs over his arm.

"This market is amazing," Thorin replied, picking up his new boots. "I cannot believe I have never been here before."

Kaylea chuckled at him. "At the rate you are going you will need to hire a contractor to take your purchases back to Erebor. Remember we are here on other business, my king."

Thorin scowled at her. "Surely it is nothing so urgent we cannot spare half a day." He smiled at a trio of approaching Dwarves. "And I have already made arrangements. Ah, there you are!"

The Dwarves bowed low, giving Kaylea curious glances. They were from the Iron Hills, all had heard tell of the King's Woman, the great warrior. They were rather astonished to see the descriptions of her beauty had fallen far short. One of the young Dwarves relieved Thorin of his burdens and hurried away, the others followed the King, ready to carry his next purchases. He stopped almost immediately at a stall selling finely woven Southron carpets.

"I am going to that pub across the square," Kaylea said, turning to go. "Come and find me when you are finished shopping."

Thorin caught her hand, giving her a playful look. "Please walk with me, my love. Can we not enjoy a day together? Perhaps I can even find something here to buy for you. Maybe something that is not black?"

Kaylea sighed, she had wanted to visit the market by herself but Thorin had insisted on coming along. She knew he was only half-teasing about her clothes, he was not fond of her habit of always wearing the same thing but she was most comfortable in her uniform. "As you command, my king."

Thorin smiled at her and kissed her hand. He folded his arm over hers as they strolled through the crowded halls. The two of them got many curious looks, the tall warrior, fair as an Elven lord, with her many weapons and worn travelling clothes, her golden hair braided in Dwarven style, and the unusually tall dark-haired Dwarf, richly dressed, with his short beard and fine features, obviously a lord among his people. Kaylea Wolf was known in Gondor, though she travelled there seldom, but the King of Erebor was unknown to all except the merchants who travelled north to Dale. As Thorin browsed the stalls, Kaylea stood a bit apart, automatically scanning the crowd for threats. The crush of people made her uneasy and she had not been planning to tarry here. Thorin did not have many enemies, but if he was recognized she wanted to be ready.