4. Yuletide in Erebor

It was a quiet midwinter night on the Lonely Mountain, snow was falling heavily outside the gates of Erebor. Thorin Oakenshield and his family were gathered in one of the private rooms enjoying the warmth of the fire burning brightly in the hearth, the logs crackling merrily. A pot of spiced wine was warming over the fire, the fragrance filling the room. It was one of those rare evenings when they found themselves together. Thorin was sitting at his harp, it had been a long time since he had played, he never seemed to have the time any more. His eldest son Thror was reading a book while his younger brother Durin poked at the fire. The Queen was seated across the room, working at her embroidery with two of her handmaidens while his daughter sat at his feet, entranced by the music. Thorin smiled at her as he played, thinking of all the things he had done in his life he was proudest of his children. Although he been hesitant at the time, he was glad he had been convinced to marry Shurri. He had three heirs to his line whose fitness for succession could not be questioned, now he would brave the scandal and release the Queen from her vows so he could marry the woman he loved. Kaylea Wolf was going to be his wife, she just did not know it yet. Idly he wondered where she was right now, it had been just over nine years since she last came to Erebor.

As his fingers played over the strings Thorin realized he had started to play the old song about the Misty Mountains. He had not thought about the tune in many years, softly he began to hum along with it and when he started to sing the words, Thror and Durin joined in with him.

As he was singing Thorin saw his daughter look out the doorway into the hall, her eyes suddenly going wide. Thorin continued to play as he followed her gaze, standing a short distance down the hall was Kaylea Wolf. She was leaning on the wall, scratching the ears of her dire wolf. It was evident she had just arrived as her coat was still wet and she had a soft bag slung over her shoulder. As Thorin came to the last verses of the song Kaylea joined in, her clear voice making a beautiful harmony with Thorin's deep baritone. She slowly moved forward until the song ended just as she reached the door. Thorin got up to welcome her.

"My lady, what a welcome surprise it is to see you!"

Kaylea came into the room and kneeled before Thorin, bowing her head. "My king."

He stepped forward, motioning for her to stand up. "You know you do not have to keep doing that," he whispered softly. Kaylea looked up at him with a soft smile, Thorin offered her his hand and drew her to her feet. He leaned over to kiss her on the cheek, chaste enough that the Queen could not object. Her black wolf trotted into the room and settled himself by the fire.

"Must you bring that filthy animal in here?" Queen Shurri abruptly stood up, gathering her work to leave. Kaylea turned to face her with a smile and bowed low.

"Good evening, your majesty," she said. " I did not see you there. You are looking well this evening."

The Queen paused by the door. She held out her hand to her daughter, who was standing behind Thorin holding onto his clothes. "Come Freya," she said. "This is no longer a place for a respectable girl."

Kaylea's eyes narrowed. "I assure you I am not contagious, your majesty," she said evenly. "But I am curious, if you do not allow your daughter to be in scandalous company where does she stay when she visits the Ered Mithrin with you?"

Shurri gave the tall woman a look that would have burned grass. Thror and Durin glanced at each other; they knew their mother had a lover there, but nobody talked about it. Just as Kaylea was always referred to as a hero from the Battle of the Five Armies, not the King's Woman. They had never heard anyone throw it in her face like that. Before the Queen could reply, Thorin spoke. "Freya is fine here with me," he said, an edge to his voice. He scowled at his wife and put a hand on his daughter's back.