06.

06.

IT WAS FRIDAY, and Jace was in the pool, attending my afternoon physiotherapy session.

It was strange, mostly because Jace wasn't scheduled for Friday classes. Not until I'd received an email this morning saying he'd enrolled. He was the only person who took two sessions a week.

So, it was strange seeing Jace in the pool on a Friday. It was strange seeing him here two days in a row – shirtless and dripping in water.

But what was most strange was the way his eyes narrowed slightly with each step – the way his frown had turned deeper and deeper as the hour-long session passed.

I blew my whistle before letting it drop against my neck. The sharp tone echoed through the tiled pool room and all eyes snapped up to me.

"Five minutes to go!" I said. "Let's cool down everyone."

As the group went through our usual cool down exercises, I tugged at the bun I'd pulled my hair into, raking the stray hairs that fell on my neck back into the bun. The indoor pool was warm, and the room itself was even warmer. The humidity caused my skin to glow and my hair to stick to my forehead and neck.

I used to have curly hair. Well, I guess I still had curly hair. Technically. But curly hair required long showers, deep conditioning, hair products – none of which were completely compatible with depression. Most days it took all my effort to shower and wash my hair, much less style it.

So, I opted for a daily hairstyle of a messy bun that took approximately twenty seconds in the morning. Even those twenty seconds felt like forever.

"And up!" I shouted, lifting my arms over my head.

Water swished as the class copied me, raising their arms slowly above the water.

"Knees higher," I said, snapping my fingers.

I scanned the group, watching them follow my instruction, until my eyes landed on Jace. His brow creased after a long session of physiotherapy. His steps had become stiffer – more strained. I pursed my lips, feeling my own ankle throb in the humid air that stuck to my skin and bones.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I glanced at the clock before blowing on my whistle and clapping my hands.

"That's it for today. Great work everyone!" I called out, shooting the group a smile. A collective sigh of relief sounded, and the water splashed as they made their way for the steps leading out of the shallow pool. "Thanks for coming! I'll see you all bright and early next week."

I stood at the edge of the pool for a moment, scribbling times down on the sheet clipped to my board, occasionally glancing up to say goodbye to clients and wish them a good weekend.

By the time I signed off on the sheet, only one person remained – Jace.

I stepped closer, to the edge of the pool watching as he limped over the steps, taking one at a time and wincing each time he put pressure on his leg. He gripped the railing so tightly, his knuckles turned white.

"You alright?"

His head snapped to me and his eyes widened, like he just realised I was still there. The pool was empty now, all the others already having entered the changing rooms. I heard the quiet hum of the pool filters and the drip, drip of water falling from his bare shoulders and damp hair.

He shrugged casually, his face falling into a content smile. I knew that forced smile all too well.

"Fine," he said.