36.

36.

A FEW DAYS after the party, Jace didn't show up to his usual physio session.

I knew his mother had cancelled his sessions, but it had been a week since then. I was sure they'd sort it out, or that he'd come anyway. It wasn't like I'd stop him from joining the class if he wasn't enrolled.

Except, he wasn't here, and I spent the entire hour-long class worried about him. By the time I brought the whistle to my mouth, my lips had been chewed raw and bloody.

I bolted straight to the front office, dumping my clipboard, and shooting for the exit. I had to go. I needed to get to Jace's house. I had to check on him. He still hadn't gotten his phone back.

If I pedalled fast, maybe I could make it there within ten minutes, and if his mom was home, I'd find a way, we could – we could –

I stopped in my tracks. Jace turned from the bike rack to smile sheepishly at me.

"Hey, Ali," he said.

I blinked. Then, I was running at him, throwing my arms around his shoulders, and tucking my face into his chest. "I was so worried!"

"I know," he muttered, stroking my hair. "I'm sorry."

I pulled back, frowning at him. "What happened? Where were you? Did your mother... I mean, did you guys talk? Did she stop you from coming today?"

Jace glanced over my shoulders and I listened as the glass doors shut with a thud – a few of the class members were leaving. He looked back at me.

"Can we go somewhere more private?"

I nodded and we began walking to my house.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Luckily, my mother wasn't home. She was out running errands. Sure, she'd lightened up a lot since our confrontation, but I wasn't in the mood for her to send us weird looks and interrupt with fruit slices every ten minutes. Especially when Jace seemed so worried all of a sudden.

Unluckily, my father was home.

At least with him, he'd only shaken Jace's hand a little too roughly (something about always wanting to be the protective father) before smirking at us and leaving us to ourselves.

I'd practically dragged him to my room, quietly closing the door and locking it with a soft click.

"I tried to come," Jace said, when it was finally just the two of us. I sat down on the edge of my bed beside him and frowned. "I was going to walk. I was hoping my mom wouldn't question where I was going, but she had expected it. She was waiting for me in front of the door."

He paused, took a deep breath, then said, "I think she realised we went to that party together. And that... we spent the night together."

He was blushing now. I stood, outraged.

"What!" I spat. "But we didn't even do anything! It was just a party! I mean, this town is literally tiny. Obviously, there'd be a chance that I'd be there! I mean, how did she even figure it out?"

"I guess she spoke with some of the other parents. It's so annoying because she knew I was going to a party. I mean, she was overjoyed! I was finally a normal teenager! She didn't even care when I got home the next morning. No, she smirked at me. She loved it. Until she realised it was with you." Jace ran a hand over his face. "Honestly, I'm surprised she didn't figure it out earlier."