02.

02.

"ARMS UP!"

A slosh of water echoed through the room as the group imitated my actions. I stood in front of the pool, lifting my arms above my head.

"And stretch!"

The water rippled as everyone stretched side to side, their arms lifted high. I smiled, watching the class carefully.

"Dolores!" I called, pointing at her. "Come on, stretch. I know you can do better than that."

The greying woman smiled, stretching deeper to the left and I nodded, satisfied. I'd been training this group of people for months now. Mostly, it was old people with arthritis issues or general health concerns looking for an easy workout.

But today, one person stood out.

Jace. That's what Piper had called him. Jace Wilson.

He was young – much younger than everyone else in the group – but probably my age, if not a bit older.

It was strange. Young people didn't attend these classes often, especially not people who'd just moved into the town. I couldn't help but wonder why he was here.

When I'd seen him at school, he'd worn an oversized sweater and a limp, but now, seeing him shirtless in the pool – I was surprised.

He was muscular. His abs were defined, and his biceps were distinct with each movement he made. I had to fight a blush and tear my eyes away to lead the session. I mean, I had to at least try to act professional.

Yet, I still found myself glancing at him every few minutes.

I wondered if he'd been an athlete. Maybe that was where his limp was from.

I furrowed my brow, studying him as he stretched beside Dolores. He was pale, so it must've been an indoor sport. Swimming? No, he'd been too clumsy getting into the pool this morning. Basketball possibly? He was pretty tall... Volleyball?

A bell sounded and I blinked, snapping out of my thoughts. He met my eyes and I blushed, quickly fishing my phone out of my pocket and turning the alarm off.

"Alright, class is over everyone!" I called. Sighs of relief echoed as the group lowered their arms. "Thank you for coming! Have a great weekend!"

I made my way around the pool to the bench with my belongings, making polite small talk with the clients who passed on their way to the lockers.

I was tired. My mom had signed me up to volunteer for the 9am classes every Saturday since the old volunteer had another baby. I'd agreed because I didn't have any other excuse.

What was I supposed to say? "I can't mom. I stay up all night just lying there, and I can't find any motivation to get out of bed in the morning."

No. Because according to her, I was better. According to everyone, I was better.

It had been a year, after all. How much longer could I be so depressed about it all, right?

So, I dragged myself to class every week and did as I was told with a smile. No complaints.

I was better.

I picked my clipboard up from the bench, filling in today's log sheet. I'd already taken attendance. I scribbled down the finish time and signed it off with my name, dropping it at the front office and grabbing my bike before making my way to the parking lot.

I ran a weary hand over my face, the cold morning air hitting my skin. I'd already promised Piper I'd meet with her for brunch. Even if dark circles bruised the skin under my eyes and my body ached with fatigue, I couldn't go back on my word.