Chapter 42

Arin began to realize that this conflict between Hyojung and MRS had become so severe, it was no longer understood by the conventional standards of right and wrong. Both sides were taking hostages, bargaining with human lives as if they had the right, as if the immorality of abduction and imprisonment inconsequential in the face of their struggle. Hyojung in her struggle to end magic, and MRS in their struggle to restore and nourish it.

It had spiraled out of control, and she was nothing but a pawn to be exploited by both sides.

Arin didn't know what side to take, who to believe, who to follow. For a while, she had bought into what MRS was doing, but lately she had begun to doubt them too.

The only thing she knew for sure was that Jun was a good person, and she didn't want him to remain a prisoner.

"Where is he?" Dasinai asked the man.

"The 13-story enchanted building. We tried to break in, but it was no use. It blocks out all mages."

"Can't we try to break the enchantment on the building somehow?" Dasinai asked.

Hoshi jumped in: "The structure is too big. We don't have that kind of power."

"Then we need to find another hostage, someone else she cares about. What about her father?" Dasinai asked. "Her father's building isn't as large, so the enchantment will be much easier for us to break, right?"

"No, I will have no part in that!" the witch Yoonsa chimed in, eying Dasinai with disapproval.

"But..."

"Enough, Das. No more hostages," Yoonsa said. "Either we give Arin up, or leave Jun with Hyojung. I don't think she would hurt him."

The man from the mission cleared his throat, then said, "about that... she threatened to curse him tomorrow if we don't carry through with the exchange."

If Arin could speak, she would have said something, if only to unpack all the thoughts running through her head as she process this. It did not sound like Hyojung to make such a threat. Hyojung's whole purpose, as far as Arin had been told, was to protect the cursed. Hyojung was too kind to doom someone to eternal suffering that will forever wreak havoc on their mental and emotional health. She saw what curses had done to Arin, to Jeonghan, to her own mother.

It was a lie. Either this man was lying, or Hyojung was.

Right? Arin was not sure anymore.

"That woman is evil..." Das managed to say in her shock.

"Let's just give Arin up," Yoonsa said with a shrug.

"But Sangbin..." Dasinai looked severely stressed, much different from the cool, level-headed leader that Arin had come to know. She began to pace. Everyone went quiet, letting her decide their next course of action.

She turned to Arin. "Are you on our side, Ar?"

Maybe if she had her tongue intact, Arin would have given the truer, more nuanced answer: she didn't know which side she was on, but she would cooperate to help Jun, in whatever way that she could. Instead, she just nodded.

-

MRS orchestrated a whole "battle plan" for this "hostage exchange," a term that, according to Dasinai, was used by Hyojung.

"Hyojung probably believes you are a hostage with us," Dasinai said. "But you are not a hostage, dear. You are here of your own free will and volition; I don't think Hyojung understands that, because that's what you are to her."