Chapter 20

She walked into the building for the first time with ~, amazed at the luxury all around her. At that point, she was excited at the prospect of living in such a place.

She knew she had to meet her new boss on the 13th floor. Naturally, she went for the elevator. She clicked the 13 button.

"Who's this?" asked a sharp voice through the speakers at the elevator.

"It's Arin. I'm going to work here."

"Why the fuck is your hair like that? Do you ever wash it?" the guy sneered. Arin noticed the camera pointing at her on the wall. She turned to ~, who just shrugged nonchalantly, shooting her an I-told-you-so look.

Embarrassed, she put her hand over her head and said, "Uh... I have naturally frizzy hair," she explained.

"Take the stairs, Missy. I don't want your lice all over my elevator!" With that, he hung up on her.

~ was right. Arin definitely hated him.

-

Arin rushed to the rooftop as fast as her dizzy head could carry her. She kept looking back, worried that the monster possessing Jeonghan would come after her. When she arrived home, she shut the door and collapsed against it to keep it shut. She was crying and quaking in fear.

It took many minutes to calm down and regain the strength and level-headedness to be able to type on her phone.

Something is wrong with him, Arin texted ~. It's like he's an entirely different person.

Did he drink too much? ~ asked.

No. It was something else. It was like black magic was controlling him.

What did he do to you?

He pushed me and tried to hurt me. And he threatened to kill me.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Ar. Jeonghan is a jerk and has always been a jerk. Don't look for excuses for whatever he's done to you.

No. You don't understand! It wasn't Jeonghan. Something is seriously wrong with him, and I'm scared. What if MRS got to him? What if they're using him to hurt me?

It's impossible for them to control him if they aren't there with him in the building. The building is enchanted, Ar. It'll keep you safe from MRS, so don't worry about them. As for Jeonghan, it seems like he has some medical issue. Just keep checking up on him, okay?

It was then that Arin heard a sudden thud outside coming from the rooftop, right outside her door.

She froze, chilled to the bone. The hairs on her arm rose, and she began quaking in fear again. The vinyl door that she sat against began to shake with her.

She held her legs closer to her chest and waited for another sound, or for the door to be forced open and for that evil force possessing Jeonghan to kill her once and for all.

But there was total silence, a terrifying silence of which Arin dreaded every moment.

The next thing she heard was the sound of Woozi's gasp. "Hey... hey," she heard him say. "Are you alright? Jeonghan? Shit."

Arin froze.

"Arin!" he called out loudly to her. "What happened to him?"

It was then that Arin decided to open her door and see what Woozi was talking about.

She gasped.

Jeonghan was laying there on his back on the cold bare ground, with soil, blood, and broken glass under his head. He was completely unconscious, and his head was twisted in a weird and unnatural way.