Chapter Seven

It was getting late. By the time Hope said goodbye to her aunt and made it back to the kitchens, it was already lights out for most of the students. Hope passed a few of the older students on her way back inside, most of them in the library studying, their lives unaffected by everything that had happened. It must be nice to be one of the students who didn't have to hunt down and kill Malivore monsters every week, who could go on with life like nothing happened after Josie's dark magic disappeared. They hadn't even known Hope was asleep. They waved to her as if they had seen her only hours ago, and maybe they had, Lizzie still had the ring.

Hope stepped into the dark kitchen, her stomach growling as if she had not eaten in a month. Though she had been asleep for the last few days, she was not sure how Alaric kept her fed... and she really didn't want to know, but for now she would settle for real food. All the staff cooked for them for three meals a day, if the students wanted more than that, particularly the werewolves, they had to fix their own snacks. It was frowned upon for students to eat after hours but it was better than having a starving werewolf or vampire roaming the school.

Hope thought she would be alone. She had passed most of the upper class on her way here and she knew a few would be in bed already or elsewhere, especially with Dr. Saltzman being busy with his daughters. You could get away with a lot in this school with Dr. Satlzman's attention being divided all the time between Lizzie, Josie, and Hope, then monsters being added in, thank god for Dorian. What they really needed was Mrs. Forbes-Salvatore back.

A form stood on the other side of the room, facing Hope, ingredients laid out in front of them, in the dark. "I think you would be able to see better if you turned on a light." Hope joked, she walked over to the island Josie was making a sandwich on. "Post tenebras spero lucem." A ball of light appeared in Hope's hand, bringing a small smile to Josie's face. Hope tried to ignore the lightness that entered her chest when she did. "Mind if I have one?" She nodded to the peanut butter and jelly sandwich Josie was making.

Josie grabbed two new slices of bread. "Do you feel like you haven't eaten in a month as well?" She picked up a knife.

Hope sat in one of the bar stools and watched Josie make the food. "It must have something to do with the magic." Josie passed her a sandwich and immediately started making another one.

Hope got up and grabbed two glasses from the drying rack. She walked into the fridge and picked up the jug of milk, pouring it into both glasses. She returned to the island in time for Josie to finish making four sandwiches and placed a glass in front of her.

They sat down to eat together, not saying a word as they nibbled on the edges of their sandwiches. "This is weird..."

"I'm sorry..." They both tried to speak at the same time.

They laughed at the awkwardness of it. "You first." Hope offered.

Josie looked down at her sandwich. "I am sorry." She sighed. "Everything seems like it could have been avoided if I had not touched black magic, Landon, Raf, Alyssa, you... everything." Hope could see a tear form at the edge of Josie's eye.

Hope reached for Josie's hands. "Jo, listen to me." Josie reluctantly looked at her. "You were manipulated by Clark, trust me he is easy to trust unfortunately." She had let him past her guard a few too many times. "You are a powerful witch who wanted to learn more, you were not the real you because I erased a part of who you were when I jumped into the pit." A tear fell from her own eye at the memory. "Clark knows how to tell you exactly what you need to hear, you are not the first witch to get manipulated, we have all had our share of bad."

"But I hurt so many people." She practically whispered.

"I killed someone." Hope whispered back. "After my mother died." She had never told them how she triggered her werewolf curse. "I hurt a lot of people during that time." Hope cleared her throat and wiped her own tears. "We all make mistakes Josie, it is how we atone for them that makes us the good guys, no one is perfect."