Chapter Eight

*Disclaimer: This chapter I made things up to fit my story that is probably not cannon to the way magic actually works in TVD/TO/L world.* 

A few days had passed and everything almost seemed normal again. If you don't count the fact that Landon was still a rock and Josie still had her powers locked in a piggy bank. Hope spent the last few days in her own bedroom, which gave Josie time to actually sleep, that did not stop Lizzie from making snarky comments about it whenever she could.

On this particular morning at breakfast, Josie started zoning out when Lizzie started her rant about how this week's homework was annoying, and how they should be granted a few weeks off for all they had been through. Josie just kept spooning her yogurt into her mouth and nodding occasionally so Lizzie thought she was actually listening.

MG slid into the seat across from them, bagel in hand. "Morning ladies." Lizzie didn't look happy that her rant got interrupted. Josie gave a greeting and went back to her yogurt while Lizzie relaunched into her rant from the beginning for the sake of MG to hear it all.

Something warm started to form in Josie's pocket, she reached into her sweater and pulled out a piece of parchment. Thankfully Lizzie's attention was momentarily taken.

Meet me in my room. - H

Josie quickly repocket the note. She picked up her half eaten yogurt. "I'll see you guys in class." She said as she got up from the table.

"Where are you going?" Lizzie asked offended, as if she didn't care enough to hear the rant.

Josie put on her best poker face. "I forgot something upstairs, I am sure MG can give you some good advice." Lizzie sat open- mouthed as Josie walked away, but as soon as she got far enough she heard her continue the rant she started.

Josie debated on knocking, wondering if it was a good idea to answer Hope's note. She decided to follow through and gently knocked on the door. Right away Hope answered, wind made from the door moving her hair in a very cinematic way, making Josie annoyed when her heart beat a bit faster. "Come in." She gestured with her hand while she held the door open for Josie.

Josie hesitantly walked into the room. It looked the same as always, Alyssa was nowhere to be seen which was nice. Hope picked up a bundle of sage and started burning it, this is when Josie noticed that things were laid out in the middle of the floor. "Early morning spell practice?" She asked while raising an eyebrow.

Hope closed the door and mumbled a spell to lock it. "It won't keep her out forever but it will give us a warning."

Panic shot through Josie. "You're not doing black magic are you?"

Hope's smile fell right away. "Oh God no, sorry." She put the sage still burning in a bowl on the floor. "I spent the last few days talking with Emma over Skype, seeing a good way to help you ease back into magic." Josie's heart picked up speed once again. "She said that it might be best if you don't use your powers for the first few times, just feel it through me while I do simple spells." She motioned for Josie to sit on the floor with her. "I am going to do a simple levitation spell, the long way," Meaning how the kids would do it. "We cross hands, like if you were helping me, you should be able to still feel the magic because you're a witch, but when we are done there will be no magic inside you to tempt you for more."

Josie could not believe Hope went through so much trouble just to help her feel better about using magic again. "I don't know what to say." She said mainly to herself.

Hope rested her hand atop of Josie's. "This is what friends do. Besides I figured having someone with a reformed dark side would make you feel more comfortable." It did. "And my aunt Freya told me a way to help you take your magic back little by little so it doesn't just take over."

Josie could feel a small amount of tears forming in her eyes. "Thank you Hope."

She shrugged. "What are friends for right? Girl Squad goals." She laughed. "Shall we begin?"

Josie nodded and they crossed their arms over the centre of the circle.

The hum of magic tickled Josie's arms as Hope began her spell. Spells are usually just words you speak, but when you are a young witch just beginning with spells, it is helpful to create circles such as these to help conduct the magic, as Hope was doing now. Even with her eyes closed Josie could see the small red ball start to rise, well she could feel it. The ball reached eye level and Josie opened her eyes and couldn't help but smile. She felt like she was actually performing the spell, felt the magic running through her fingers and into Hope's hands, she felt connected to it again.

Hope's eyes opened as well, as if infected by Josie's smile, she produced one of her own. "We could do more if you want?" She offered.

Josie nodded eagerly. Hope mouthed 'Okay' and closed her eyes again. Josie followed suit and tried to feel what Hope was planning. Soon she felt the surge of magic again running through her. She could feel the ball begin to bounce in the air in front of them. Josie couldn't keep the smile from her face.

The door opened abruptly and the magic exited her body so quickly that it left her cold. Hope turned her glare on the person who entered the room, but it failed as soon as she saw the look on their face. Raf held the door so tightly that Josie was certain it was going to crack under his werewolf force. "Landon is awake."

They both scrambled up from the floor, ball long forgotten, rolling under the closets bed. They were already running down the hall and to the basement. This was going to change a lot of things.