Chapter Twenty

By the time breakfast ended it was actually raining. Hope was wondering if they were going to cancel their obstacle course but considering she was standing at the starting line blinking rain out of her eyes, she doubted it.

The one and only rule was no powers, no super vamp speed, no spells, though they couldn't really do anything about the werewolf strength, the course didn't require any heavy lifting. If you have ever seen a military obstacle course, it was basically just like that. It was something the park already had, it was some sort of team building retreat area. Various wooden structures were laid out in front of them.

The rain continued to beat down on them as Dr. Satlzman stepped up to the line to tell them how this was all going down. "Okay guys, the person who comes in first place gets to choose if they want to pick dinner, the movie, or if they want a golden ticket." When no one said anything, Dr. Saltzman put a hand up to his ear. "What is a golden ticket Dr. Saltzman, well I am glad you asked." He looked over at Caroline. "A golden ticket is something you get to hold on to, sort of a get out of jail free card at school... within reason." He said with a few pointed looks. "Who ever comes in second can pick from what the first place did not, and third place gets what is left."

This was intriguing to Hope, there was plenty at school she could use that ticket for, but so could everyone else, that meant this was going to be a hard fight for first place. She could already see Kaleb. Lizzie, and Jed taking their marks. "Okay we want a clean battle, you are free to drop out at any time, but there will be a punishment of course." He did not elaborate on what that was going to be, maybe it was because his raincoat was starting to soak through. "On your marks," He lifted a horn above his head. "Get set," He held them there, rain seeping into their skin. "Go!" The horn blared and everyone took off in a rush.

Hope stood back for a fraction of a second, allowing the cluster of kids to fight amongst themselves. When she was her opening she took off, dodging and weaving in between those who were physically fighting each other to reach the first obstacle. Hope could already see Jed and Kabel climbing the eight foot tall wall, Jed didn't even look like he was using the rope to help him. Hope arrived there at the same time as Lizzie and MG, Raf not far behind them.

The rope was slick with the rain, making it heavy and hard to grab. Hope wrapped it around her hand, using her arms strength to pull herself up the wall, Raf was keeping pace with her but the other two were having issues.

Hope reached the top in seconds and vaulted herself over the wall. A horn sounded, catching her attention for a second as Dr. Saltzmans announced that Wade was out of the competition. Hope's feet slid in the mud at the bottom, she almost didn't right herself in time, but with her fingers digging in the thick puddle, she kept herself going. Next was another rope, this one they were supposed to wrap their arms and legs around and pull themselves along. Hope was happy to see that Jed had fallen off his rope twice already, it gave Kaleb a chance to catch up and for Raf to start his, as well as Hope. The race was getting close.

Through ten tires, knees high, Hope did slip twice, causing her knees to get covered in mud, but it seemed that everyone had also slipped a few times. Lizzie was back at her side, she stuck out her tongue as she passed Hope, only for Hope to have the last laugh when she fell over, her shoe catching on the last tire. Another eight foot wall came into their path. This time Hope was faster getting over it, she was getting the hang of the weight of the rain, and she was able to get better traction.

Next was a single line of tires suspended in the air. Hope lucked out that Jed and Kaleb were fighting each other to get through first, this gave her the advantage, she cut around the side of them, while they were too occupied with each other, she dove through the first tire, rolled through the mud and reached her feet, pushing off again so she was back to running before she hit the second one. They didn't fight for long because Hope could hear their shouts behind her. She threw herself to the ground after the fifth and final tire, digging her elbows and knees into the pit of mud as she began to crawl under the net that was a foot off the ground. Hope didn't need to turn far to see Raf at her side, she caught his eye and they both laughed out loud. Hope could not help but think how much fun she was having while doing this.