Chapter 5

When she got outside, she found the black servants gathered and walked over to them, wishing to just be around her own people instead of the asses in the building.

They looked at her and when she got to them, they scrutinised her for a moment before deciding that she was alright and then giving her something to drink. As she drank the burning liquor, her eyes caught those of the last person she expected to see. What was he doing here?

He walked away and she followed him, stopping some distance away from eyesight of the people. He looked at her and her breath caught. He was even more handsome with his hair now cropped short.

"Good evening, Lady Yves," he said. His eyes roved over her.

"Junior...it's still Freedom-"

"Your father made it clear that he did not want me anywhere near you and truthfully, I do not want you near me after you lied to me. But I can be civil seeing that my sir is the one hosting the wretched gathering."

"Your sir? Did you stop mining?"

"Yes. Sir Manley pays me better than the mines and better working conditions too."

"Manley? Yoshi Manley?"

"Your father would be mighty pleased if he became your suitor, wouldn't he? He has the wealth and the looks...and the best part is he likes us, negroes."

Freedom scoffed. "OK. Look, I came to apologise for everything. I know you hate me and-"

Junior sneered. "I don't hate you. I still love you even after all that happened but I value my life. My family relies on me and I cannot afford to be dead. You on the other hand...you have everything given to you on a silver platter-"

"That's low, Junior. What changed? I'm still the same girl you fell in love with and-"

"Your father threatened to kill me and he was not joking! I see people getting lynched and shot and I don't want to be that person!"

"What about me?!" Freedom yelled. "What about me, Junior!? You're not going to just throw me away like that because I still love you! You're the first man that I have ever fallen in love with and you're just going to let it-"

"I'm willing to let it go for the sake of my life-"

Freedom pulled Junior close and kissed him hard. He kissed her back and she found herself melting as usual in his arms and this time around, she was the one that helped him off with his shirt, unbuttoning it herself. He lay her down on the grass in the shadow of the trees, hovering over her.

"I still want to marry you," she whispered breathlessly. "I love you, Junior and I want to marry you, be the mother of your children, take care of our house...I don't care if we're poor."

He stared at her. "I love you so much Freedom," he whispered, kissing her as his hand untied her corset. "I still want to marry you too but what we are doing is so dangerous."

"I know," she said, cupping his face as her corset came free, freeing her breasts. He gazed at them before looking back at her face. "I want to do this...with you. We can run away...anything."

"But I can't give you the life you are used to and Lord Barley will turn the earth upsidedown to find you. If he succeeds, I'm as good as dead."

Freedom kissed him. "You know what? Let's stop talking." In her head, she was already planning it-to get pregnant with Junior's baby and leave no room for Lord Barley to object to their marriage.

She unbuttoned his pants while his hands roamed under her dress, giving her sensations that she was experiencing for the first time. A sound left her mouth as his hand settled where nobody had ever touched her before and she froze, suddenly forgetting how to breathe. She clenched her thighs and quickly sat up, trying to catch her breath because something was happening where Junior had touched her.