Chapter 2

Mrs. Rendell watched the little black girl running around the farm chasing chickens in her grey dress with the small apron at the front. She rocked back and forth in her chair, a smile gracing her face as Freedom giggled loudly, pursuing one very fast rooster.

She tripped and fell in the dirt and Mrs. Rendell, knowing that she was a very strong five year old, simply laughed as the child got up, not even bothering to dust herself and starting to chase the rooster again.

For the last few years, she had raised Freedom as her own because she didn't have any children, not by choice. When her husband left her, she had decided to dedicate her life to being a servant for families with children and the very first family she worked for was one that she had worked for for the past years of her life. She had watched children being born and leaving the Yves household and after the last one was born, Barley, she decided to work for him instead, hoping he would one day have children of his own that she could raise.

Instead of having his own, he had decided to live the life of a bachelor and as much of an aristocrat as he was, he just would not stop his whoring ways. However, shortly after bringing Freedom home with him, he had surprised her by announcing his decision to take a wife and now five years later, he had a beautiful wife and a three year old daughter whom Mrs. Rendell had had the opportunity to meet but not to raise, not that she was complaining because even if Freedom had been given the Yves last name, she was Mrs. Rendell's one and only non-blood daughter especially after raising her alone for the last years. They had gone through teething, diarrhea, illnesses and first everything together and no matter what anybody said, this little black girl belonged to the old white lady.

"Mama!" Freedom called as she ran over to the woman's side, her brown face flushed and a wide grin on her face. When she learned how to speak, Mrs. Rendell had taught her the word "mama" just for practice but it had caught on and she didn't mind to have someone calling her mother. In fact, she started encouraging it.

The woman grinned. "Yes, sweetheart?"

"I fell," the little girl laughed, showing Mrs. Rendell her scraped knee. "I didn't cry because I'm a big girl now."

"And I am proud of you. But look at you! Were you raised by pigs? You lost one of your hair ribbons...you should take a bath before you enter into my house, young lady."

Freedom nodded as the sound of a wagon pulling up behind the house reached their ears. Mrs. Rendell squinted to see who came out and Barley stepped out with his family, bringing an instant smile to her face.

Freedom had already flown over to the family in excitement. Barley's wife, Marisol, scooped the dirty girl in her arms, kissing her all over as they both giggled and Mrs. Rendell walked over to all of them.

She kissed Barley's cheek in greeting and then Marisol and lastly, she leaned down to kiss Angenette, the raven haired chubby three year old that was pulling Freedom by the leg, whining for her mom to put her down so that they could go and play.

Marisol let Freedom down and within a minute, the two little girls were running around the front of the house, chasing some of the farm animals with loud giggles.

"Good afternoon, aunt Rendell," Marisol said in a tired tone, her cheeks red from laughing with Freedom. "Those girls are going to be the death of me when they are done chasing your pigs."

Mrs. Rendell laughed as she led them into the house. She served them some tea and scones and Barley excused himself to go out and see Freedom.

Marisol looked at the old woman in front of her. "How are you holding up?" she asked.

"I'm alright," Mrs. Rendell says. "We haven't had any surprise visitors in the last two months so nothing has gone wrong yet. Freedom...she's going to make me die young...she's just full of energy!"