Chapter 11

"Did you see a ghost or are you sick?" Mrs. Rendell asked as soon as Freedom walked into her room, already feeling the young woman's forehead for signs of fever.

"I am fine, mama," she replied. "I just went swimming to get my mind off what happened. I apologise for walking out on you and Lady Marisol. I just couldn't look you in the eye and tell you what happened."

Mrs. Rendell hugged her warmly. "You are my baby, Freedom. My one and only baby. I want you to always know that I am here for you no matter what."

Freedom smiled at her. "I know, mama. But Sir Manley already took care of it-"

Mrs. Rendell frowned. "He knows?! But...what happened that day, Free?"

Freedom sat down on the bed and told Mrs. Rendell everything, the woman sobbing with heartbreak with every word.

"Who did it, my baby?" she asked.

Freedom shook her head. "It is fine. I don't want trouble, mama. I have dealt with it. I am fine now."

Mrs. Rendell nodded with understanding. "Promise you shall tell me when you think the time is right?"

"I promise."

Freedom took off her dress, forgetting that she was still wearing Sir Manley's shirt underneath.

"Freedom," Mrs. Rendell said, a warning tone in her voice. "That is a man's shirt."

Freedom quickly unbuttoned it and grabbed her dress then threw the two into the laundry. She took a sleeping dress from a hanger and put it on.

"Freedom Yves!"

"It is father's shirt," Freedom quickly said while she was still turned away from Mrs. Rendell. "I took it to go swimming a while ago and kept it."

"But you did not take anything with you when you stormed out of here." Mrs. Rendell glared at her.

"I hide it, mama," Freedom said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. She turned back to Mrs. Rendell. "I have to sleep now-"

"The sun has not gone down yet-"

"Mama, I am tired. Please-"

Mrs. Rendell dragged her down in her sleeping dress to the kitchen and began emptying potatoes on to the table then handed Freedom a knife. "I better find all them peeled when I get back, do you hear me? When you are done, supper must get started and you..." She turned to the stunned and startled servants that stood watching. "...you may all retire for the night."

The white servants left happily but Marta, having just come down from upstairs and being the only black one present today, decided to pretend to be preparing to leave until Mrs. Rendell left the room. Then she grabbed a knife and sat down before the broody Freedom, already peeling.

"I found a shirt in your laundry, Freedom," she casually said. 

"Not you too. Please...I have had a long day and it seems to be getting worse. Please, Marta. Not today."

But Marta continued. "Custom made."

Freedom stopped peeling and looked at her.

"Made in Italy by Luigi's. Ain't nobody in this family shop there."

"What is your point, Marta?"

The woman stopped peeling and looked at her sternly. "Stop it, Freedom. Don't do it."

"What are you talking about?"

"I know one person who gets custom made shirts from Luigi's and there is only him in this area of ours."