Chapter 10

Freedom watched the gardens below lazily, wanting to go out into them but being lazy. Her door opened and Lady Marisol came in, a beautiful plaid dress hanging on her arm.

"Where's Angie going?" Freedom asked, eyeing the dress with excitement.

"Do not be silly. It is for you."

"Really?"

Freedom quickly took off her clothes in excitement and just as she was about to grab the dress from Lady Marisol, the woman put her hand on her shoulder and turned her around before a gasp of shock left her mouth. Freedom realised her mistake-she had just gotten naked in front of her mother, forgetting about the scars on her bottom.

"Who did this to you?!" Lady Marisol cried.

Freedom simply stared at her in silence.

"Freedom Yves!" she screeched in anger. "Who did this to you?!" She pointed at the whip scars.

Freedom did not know how to answer.

Lady Marisol left the room and Freedom quickly put on her clothes just before Last Marisol entered with Mrs.  Rendell who immediately turned Freedom around and checked her bottom without a word.

She looked long and hard at Freedom's face until she fell apart.

"I was walking home alone and they came out of nowhere and they just whipped me because I'm a negro," she whispered in a trembling tone.

"Who did it?!" Lady Marisol asked through clenched teeth.

"I...I didnt see them because it was dark." She bit her fingernails, refusing to look at Mrs. Rendell who knew she only did that when she was lying.

"Did they rape you, Freedom?" she breathed.

The girl looked at her and shook her head, her jaw tense. Tears gathered in her eyes but she continued shaking her head.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Mrs. Rendell asked. "Am I not your mother, Freedom? Have I not raised you?!"

"I'm just a negro," Freedom croaked as she broke down. She ran out of the house, got onto her horse and rode out of the estate.

.

Junior watched as she jumped off her horse and ran towards him as if something was chasing her. He stood up from his chair in alarm and let her run into his arms, embracing her tightly as she cried.

When she had calmed down, he led her into his quarters and lay her down before bringing her some water which she drank in gulps before laying back down.

"What happened?" Junior asked.

"Nothing," she replied.

He made her sit up and sat in a chair in front of her, taking her hand in his and putting a palm against her cheek.

"What happened to us?" she asked, leaning into his touch. "I know I messed it up but I still love you, Junior. I still love you so much and I can't bring myself to let go of you."

Junior smiled. "I still love you too but you know we can't be together. As much as you are a negro, Freedom, you're of high status and I am just a commoner. It's better if I just stick with my own. I wouldn't be able to give you the life you want-"

"I don't mind becoming a commoner, Junior. I would sell all of my things just to be with you."

"I am getting married, Free."

She swallowed thickly. "I know..."

"Then let us not do this-"

"Are you happy with her?"