Chapter 7: another day, another problem

Elena lay with her lover on her bed, constantly pressing a cool cloth to the vampire's forehead, which was covered in sweat. Katherine's curls splayed across the pillow, but some clung to her forehead.

The girl had barely slept. For three days Katherine had been bedridden, and Elena refused to let her stand. She could not see the woman weak, she could not allow it. For a moment, Katherine seemed peaceful, as if this trouble was long behind them.

She knew that wasn't the truth, but hope was something she could not help. The girl was only human, and as her lover woke a sliver of hope emanated from her, hoping the vampire was all right.

That hope was quickly diminished as Katherine began coughing, and blood slipped from her lip. Elena quickly grabbed the bowl she had on the nightstand and placed it under her.

She held Katherine's hair from her face as the vampire placed her hands on either side of the bowl to support herself as she continued to spew blood. Her other hand comforted the vampire by rubbing her back gently, trying not to disturb her.

Katherine pushed the bowl away, but her breathing was still erratic as she lay back against the pillows once again.

"What can I do?" Elena pleaded, "We have to do something."

"There's nothing you can do," her lover responded, looking up at her weakly.

"There has to be something! I won't let you die," her eyes filled with tears. The girl had never seen Katherine so weak.

"I'm not letting you go to Klaus for me. He'll kill you, Elena."

"I don't care," Elena whispered, "I can't let you die."

Katherine reached up to weakly cup the girl's cheek, wiping away her tears with her thumb. She sat up, wincing as she did so, to place a gentle kiss to her lover's lips. Elena immediately responded, wrapping her arms around the vampire's neck. More tears fell down her cheeks as she pulled away to stare into Katherine's dark eyes. A soft smile curled the woman's lips as she allowed herself to lie back against the pillows with a wince.

The sigh that escaped Katherine's lips as the girl ran her fingers so gently through her hair was inevitable. She was so comfortable, more comfortable than she had been in a long time. There was never a time the vampire could remember receiving such affection, such love. It was almost unbelievable, but Elena changed that every day.

She fought against the urge to sleep. Katherine wanted to assure her lover, and herself, that things would be all right. If a fight were what she had to give then she would give everything, for Elena. Only Elena could make her feel so different.

Of course she had thought of the consequences of succumbing to the darkness, and finally finding peace. She would never have to run. She would have her freedom. Freedom, the prize that she had worked five hundred years to earn, was now the price she had to pay to remain with her lover.

"Do you need more blood?" she heard the girl whisper.

"No," she sighed, "I don't need anymore."

"Are you sure?"

"It'll only come back up," the vampire smiled, but obviously her lover was not amused.

In an attempt to cheer the girl up she rested her head over Elena's beating heart, listening to the beating as she closed her eyes. She could feel the tension in her lover's muscles, but they relaxed as Katherine nestled herself against Elena's side.

"Can you be less cute for five minutes?" Elena asked, a small smile on her lips.

"It's impossible," the vampire replied with a sigh.