XX

Everyone was silent, staring at the TV screen as it faded to black. Slowly removing my hand, I walked over and sat down on the couch, making sure to keep my distance from Toby and Steve.

"But there's still something I don't understand," Archie paced across the kitchen counter. "What does this old legend have to do with you and Insanity taking over your body?"

"Have you really not made the connection yet?" a velvety voice purred, and I immediately clamped a hand over my mouth. Biting down on it, I let out a yelp that was cut short by Eclipse speaking again. "You truly are stupid, mutare feles."

"That's enough," I growled through gritted teeth, and Eclipse laughed before retreating. Your mind is weak, she sang. Crippled. If I truly wanted to, I would level this human den to nothing but dust.
"Shut your os," I said, louder this time. "Begone, Eclipse. This does not involve you."

"Waitwaitwaitwaitwait," Toby stopped me. "Eclipse? As in the lady you were just talking about?!"
"Archie, didn't you say something about Eclipse taking over the minds of Ventils and using them as her puppets or something?" Claire asked. He nodded fearfully, barely able to look at me straight.

"Well, yes, but..I never expected them to be true! Eclipse is supposed to be a myth; nothing more than a fairy tale to explain how the universe was made. She's nothing more than an ancient fable," he said quickly, clambering onto Douxie's shoulders.

"You mean she's supposed to be," Krel corrected. "Unless I am incorrect, that was Eclipse speaking through you, right?" I nodded.
"Uh, how do we know that you aren't just making this up?" Steve asked.
"Would you call this made up?" Jim replied, showing off the fang marks on his neck. I winced at the sight of Insanity's handiwork.

"No, he..he has a point," I said timidly. "I swear, I'm not making this up."
"Then prove it," Douxie said flatly. "We can't just let you off the hook after you broke loose last night and attacked us all."

You know what to do, Aquarius said softly. Slowly nodding, I rose from the couch and placed a hand on the television once again, this time projecting my own memories. It had been so long since I'd ventured back then; I pushed that experience to the very back of my subconscious so I would never have to face it again. But, despite my heart pounding in fear, I let the memory of Scorpio's death rise to the front of my brain.

The humans watched in horror as they saw Eclipse take over me, Ramos' body writhing in agony as I changed him. I choked back a sob as I watched Eclipse drain Scorpio's magic, dropping his corpse on the floor with no ceremony. I couldn't take it after I saw Eclipse harm Raven, and I withdrew my hand.

Krel came over and slowly led me over to the couch, seating me down and putting a comforting hand on my shoulder. Somehow, for reasons I couldn't fathom why, he had chosen to take pity and forgive me. Humans truly were mysterious and strange creatures.

"Mordrax's miracles," Douxie whispered. "That was-"
"Heartbreaking," Claire mumbled, and Jim wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Toby made a funny noise in agreement, snorting into a flowy white garment of some kind. "I was gonna to say awesome, but sure, heartbreaking works," Steve said, and he retreated after I gave him a death glare.

"I'm so sorry, Lunalis," Krel said, gently rubbing my back.
"Why?" I whispered, drying my eyes with a hand. "I-I've hurt you. I tried to kill you. You've seen what a monster I am."

"Correction: We've seen what a monster those things are," Archie said, landing on the couch and nuzzling my hand. "And we've seen what you've been going through since you were a little girl. That warrants some pity already. At this rate, they could take over your mind any day now."
"Which is why we should act now," Douxie said, grabbing a bag. "We should head to the bookstore. Maybe we can find a way to get these things out of your head."

"R-really?" I asked. "You would do that for me?"
"Of course," Toby replied. "Besides, it'll be a lot easier to watch you when you're not going crazytown-bananapants on us with fireballs and biting people."
"That would make things simpler," I agreed, rising. "Alright, then, let's go."

I donned my disguise, letting my wings and tail evaporate. I breathed in contentment as I settled back into my human form. It was calming, almost, being like this. Simpler, even. You know there isn't a spell in the world that could undo my enchantments, do you?
Go away, I growled as Eclipse's voice snaked her way back into my brain.

You can search the furthest corners of the earth, travel through the gates of time itself, and you will never succeed.
I said be quiet, and I meant it. We all tromped out the front door, following Douxie to GDT Arcane Books. Archie was padding along my right side, with Krel on my left. But this time, it felt less like a straightjacket and more like friends taking a relaxing stroll.

You think these humans will be able to solve all your problems, Eclipse laughed. How cute.
They're more resourceful than you give them credit for. They defeated Insanity, and-
Then what? Insanity is a minor skirmish compared to me. A simple rain cloud compared to a hurricane.

I bit my tongue, not wanting to give into her taunts. You know as well as I that my magic cannot be undone by tomes and potions. It requires true power. Something ancient, something powerful. Something beyond the comprehension of mortals.
But Nari-

Is a child! 

I tensed as a car flew past us, whipping my fawn hair into my face. That woodland infant could never compare to me! She does not have the skills to let loose goddesses.
What are you saying? I regretted the words as soon as I spoke them. Curiosity had gotten the best of me: an unfortunate quirk that came with my feline nature.

You know what I'm saying, she said, and I could feel the smirk on her non-existent face. To free my children, you will need my power. If you truly want them out, you will let yourself succumb to me. You and I must become one once more.