An Unusual Request

A small fifteen-year-old bluenette was struggling to get to class due to the rush of students in the hall. Her delicate facial features were screwed up with concentration as she tried not to step on anyone or knock somebody down, but all in vain. She ended up tripping on someone's foot, who stepped on another's, and all three of them were down.

"Watch it!" snarled one of the girls, a gorgeous red-head with pale, freckled skin and the most spectacular blue-green eyes. Her attire consisted of a sleeveless yellow top, Daisy Dukes, high-cut sneakers, and brown suspenders. Dawn recognized her immediately, her name was Misty, and she landed the notorious band of bullies and mean girls.

"Calm down!" commanded the other, struggling to her feet. Her hair was chestnut brown and curled around her mid-back, framing a beautiful face and striking clear blue eyes. She had on a black miniskirt and stilettos. Dawn knew her as well. She was part of the most popular girls at school. Dawn was mortified. How badly could her day have started? Misty glared at her, spun on her heels, and left without offering to help Dawn, who was still sprawled on the floor. The crowd around them had stared for a little while, wanting more action. Upon May's command, they all left for their classes. Dawn looked to her side and saw her books all spilling out of her backpack.

"Shoot!" she looked up and saw a hand. She saw May, smiled gratefully, and took it. "Thanks," she said shyly.

"No problem!" the popular girl responded. She bent down and helped Dawn gather her books, then slid them in her bag again. "You know," May said, standing back up again and brushing her hair behind her ears.

"Yes?" Dawn asked curiously.

"You're really quite beautiful, and really fit too. I think you should try out for cheer today," she enthused. Dawn backed against the wall.

"If this is a joke, it's not funny," she said, her voice shaking. May reached out comfortingly and rested her hand on Dawn's shoulder.

"Of course it's not a joke! We have five more available spots because there are twelve spots and we have seven girls right now. Me, Serena, Lillie, Mallow, Hilda, Rosa, and Iris make up the current team," she explained. Dawn fidgeted nervously.

"I guess I could try," she said reluctantly.

"Awesome!" May threw herself on Dawn for an enthusiastic hug and strutted off, her heels clicking against the floor, leaving the younger girl to wonder what had just happened.