New Member

(Warning: contains some language)

Dawn and May stepped outside of the building fifteen minutes later, the scuffle of Dawn's sneakers accompanied by sharp taps. A black Porsche SUV cruised into the parking lot a second after, with a gold customized plate reading 'MAPLE'. The car looked so expensive that the bluenette was afraid to touch it. May grabbed the handle and opened the door, letting Dawn get in first politely and then shutting it. The woman inside raised her eyebrows. She resembled May on the matter of their face, but she had lavender eyes and butter-golden hair. She wore Dior sunglasses, a Chanel cocktail dress, and black Louboutins. 

"Is this your new friend, Maybelle?" May's mother had a haughty accent, as though she thought of Dawn as not much. A lump rose into her throat.

"Yeah! She's the new member of the Stiletto Squad," May enthused.

"I can see that," Caroline Maple drawled. 

The next morning

Dawn studied her reflection in the mirror. Curled hair, red lipstick, blush, and mascara; her outfit was totally May approved and totally different from everything she ever wore. It consisted of a navy halterneck bandage dress, a Van Clerf and Arpels necklace, Cartier bangles, and of course; stilettos. The heels of the day were black Stuart Weitzman, one pair out of the fifty May had bought for her. Her new brunette friend must have been awfully rich to throw money out at things for Dawn. She wobbled forward and slowly edged down the stairs nervously. Johanna gasped when she saw her daughter.

"Honey, you look gorgeous!" she gushed.

"Thanks, mom," Dawn replied shyly.

"Whatever possessed you to wear these?" Johanna asked, her eyebrows knitting together.

"Oh, I just wanted to," her daughter stumbled over her words.

"Eat quickly. You don't want to miss the bus," Ms. Berlitz warned. Dawn played with her dress.

"Actually, can you drop me off?" her mother blinked.

"Umm, alright! I'll get the keys to the Jeep," she leaned forward to grab the car keys but was stopped by a hand.

"Can we drive the BMW?" she requested.

"What's gotten into you, Dawn?" Johanna asked incredulously, but plucked the other car's keys from a bag hook and stood up. "You aren't going to eat?"

"No. I don't want to bloat in this thing," she explained. Together, the pair marched outside and Dawn slid into the car, clutching her phone tightly. She was ready.

As soon as the car drove into the parking lot, people rushed forward to snap photos. Dawn stepped out glamorously, and they screamed even louder. 

"Have a great day, darling!" casting a surprised look at her daughter and the crowd, the car backed up and slid out of the driveway. Dawn hoisted her Kate Spade backpack up and strutted through the fans like a runway model. The rest of the Stiletto Squad was waiting at the end.

"You look amazing!" Lillie praised.

"Thanks," Dawn tossed her hair over one shoulder. 

"Shall we, girls?" Serena smiled slyly and winked at a couple of boys who were eying them up. One of them looked like he was about to faint.

"Yeah," Mallow narrowed her eyes, and the eight of them walked forward. All eyes were on them. Girls whispered and cast admiring glances their way. Boys had heated cheeks and were being teased by their friends. Girlfriends were slapping their boyfriends for looking at the Stiletto Squad members that way. But the most attention was directed towards Dawn.

"New girl," they murmured. Gossip was thick in the autumn air as everyone talked. The bluenette gulped nervously.

"Time out," Dawn muttered under her breath to her friends as she spotted a flash of orange-red. She didn't need to weave her way through the students like she used to; people cleared out of her way like she was a celebrity. "Zoey!" she waved frantically to her old friend.

"Dawn!" Zoey eyed her up, confused.

"Why are you dressed that way?" she asked suspiciously.

"Well, I'm popular now," Dawn admitted.

"Huh! Really," her friend was skeptical.

"Yeah," her excitement was fading quickly. "You don't believe me?" before Zoey could answer, the click-clack of heels sounded beside her and she turned around to spot a gorgeous blonde strolling forward. "Shoot," she murmured.

"Dawn," Serena narrowed her eyes. "Why are you talking with this loser?" this scene happened in a lot of the cliché movies about high school. Every time someone denied it immediately, the person they were talking with turned away from them. So she debated what to say and settled on a simple sentence.

"I'll see you soon," the leader of the cheer team nodded and walked off. Zoey looked hurt.

"I should have known you were telling the truth. You're dressed like the sluts from the Stiletto Squad," she spat.

"Which ones are sluts?" Dawn asked, fighting to keep her emotions under control.

"Serena, obviously. Mallow, Hilda, and May," Zoey hissed. Her bluenette friend lost it.

"They are not whores! My friends are perfectly fine people, who are a lot better than you!" Dawn screeched. People stopped and stared at the two of them.

"They're better than me? Those bitches are better than me?" Zoey shot back in response. Dawn threw her hands up.

"Whatever! You're not worth it," she turned around and stomped away. 

When she returned to the group, Dawn noticed that Lillie was the one most sensitive to other people's emotions.

"What happened?" the blonde asked gently.

"Nothing," she huffed, staring out the window.

"Something happened," Mallow chimed.

"Zoey called you guys sluts," Dawn blurted.

"What?" gasped Rosa.

"She couldn't have called all of us whores, because she would have called you one too. Which ones did she actually say were sluts?" reasoned Iris.

"Serena, Mallow, Hilda, and May," Dawn swallowed. The four girls in question looked more hurt than angry.

"Don't worry Dawn, it's not your fault. We're going to make her pay," snarled Serena.