The Popular Guys

Dawn walked to school on her impossibly tall five-inch gold platforms, and her outfit appeared a little more risqué than the last day. Her bandage dress was strapless and black, reaching around three inches above her knees. Her whole color scheme was sort of 'Cleopatra', right down to her black eyeliner and gold eyeshadow which she'd applied under her eyes. Although she doubted Cleopatra wore BVLGARI flower necklaces and a matching bracelet. And surprisingly, her accessories were bought by her mom. Johanna had shelled out around twenty thousand dollars like it was nothing and the jewelry was just a 'got yourself some friends present'. She chuckled at the memory. The other seventeen thousand dollars had been spent on a rich yellow-orange colored Hérmés bag, a Birkin to be exact. Inside was her cheer uniform, her phone, and a couple of other necessities like gentle pink lipstick, lip balm, blush, a mirror, and a hair comb. She'd given up mascara — it made her eyes hurt. Instead, she brought along some eyeliner to accentuate her already long, thick black eyelashes. On the way to the first period, she ran into Hilda and Rosa.

One could tell they were twins just by looking at what they were wearing. Hilda had on navy stilettos, silver accessories, and an off-the-shoulder gown and Rosa was sporting block heels and a baby blue mini dress, but their makeup was done the same. Red lips, cat eyes, blush, and glittery eye cosmetics; it was applied perfectly in every area. Not that anyone needed to guess their relationship — everyone knew the famous Damaris sisters.

"Hi, sweetie!" Rosa chirped cheerfully. Anyone who went to another school would assume that they were dating or something like that, but all the people at the top of the social ladder said 'sweetie', 'hon', or 'darling', as a way of either being condescending or friendly. Dawn was able to tell the difference, and she smiled back.

"Hello!" they hugged and the bluenette could smell lavender and honey, the scent wafting from Rosa.

"Sorry to interrupt, but have you noticed Zoey?" Hilda jutted in, casting a look at the redhead nearby. Zoey looked miserable. All her friends, even her best friend Candice, were notably absent around her. When she tried to float through the halls, people's stares, whispers, and insults weighed her down. Guilt stung in Dawn's heart.

"I feel bad for her," she muttered to the twins. Rosa's eyebrows shot up.

"Me two. But we have to consider what happened. Zoey was being unfaithful to Elan, we just pointed it out. That's all," Rosa comforted.

"I guess," Dawn responded skeptically.

"Listen," this time it was Hilda who edged forward. Out of all the members of the Stiletto Squad, Hilda was the coldest, so Dawn expected some kind of snarl. Instead, she was greeted by a smart sentence. "We're like water, Dawn. Beautiful and soft, but when you apply pressure, we are powerful. And just like water, we are needed to maintain order in our school. Do you get it?"

The analogy was good and her words made sense, so the bluenette's shoulders lost some of their stiffness.

"Yes," and they all straightened and strutted down the hallways towards the math period.

Before lunch that day, Dawn learned all of the Stiletto Squad's nicknames.

Hilda was dubbed 'The Ice Queen' because she had an icy personality and frighteningly perfect features.

Serena had been entitled 'Pink Diamond' because she was rare, beautiful, and very expensive. Her friendship was priceless, and when you couldn't afford her, she was a nightmare to look at every day, wanting so badly to join her friend group.

May's nickname was 'Meteorite'. On the outside she was hard, but once you got close enough and cracked her act apart, her personality was dazzling like the geodes inside a meteorite. Dawn hadn't known that there were crystals inside meteorites; she learned something new.