costumes & cuddles - fem!reader

you and spencer make costumes for your kids

no warnings :)

word count: 1010

a/n: dad!spencer

+++

although it was not your first halloween spent with spencer, the excitement for the holiday never seemed to disappear. it was your favorite time of the year, as it was for spencer as well. it had been a tradition to share the joys of the season together since you had first started dating all those years ago, and the fact that you could now spend that time with your kids made everything so much better.

that's how you two had found yourselves curled up in the living room one night, halloween movies playing softly in the background as you both worked on making costumes for your kids.

"i can't believe i was able to convince morgan to be a scientist," spencer murmured from the other room, pouring you each a cup of coffee.

"actually, she's a fairy scientist," you corrected him, gesturing at the wings you were currently sewing onto your daughter's lab coat.

"right, my bad," spencer smiled, handing you one of the two mugs. "cream and sugar, the way you like it," he grinned.
"you know me so well," you giggled, resting your head on his shoulder as you took a quick sip. "thank you, bubba."

"of course, my love," spencer said softly, kissing the top of your head gently. "here, give me conan's costume, i can work on that."

"spence, please don't hurt yourself," you laughed quietly, sitting back up to grab your son's costume.

"y/n, i know how to sew," spencer reminded you playfully, already busying himself with working on the detailing. "i've helped make their costumes before, remember?"

"i know," you murmured softly. "have i ever told you how much i enjoy this? i like making them with you, it's like our own little tradition," you told him, looking into spencer's eyes.

"i love you so much," he whispered, leaning down to kiss you gently. you smiled, mumbling a soft "i love you too" as spencer's lips let go of yours. you turned you body, leaning against him as you both continued working. you both sat in silence for a bit, working separately to finish the costumes.

"aren't there going to be a bunch of kids dressed as spider-man at conan's school?" spencer asked aloud after a minute.

"probably," you said simply. "but that's his favorite marvel character, and he didn't want to be anyone else."

"good point," spencer responded, shifting his attention back to the costume. "and i know i say this every year, but thank you for doing this for them."
"spencer, you don't have to thank me," you murmured, brushing your arm against his. "i love doing this, and i know how important it is to you."

"i just want our kids to be happy," he mumbled, resting his head on yours as he set down conan's costume.

"baby, yesterday morgan wouldn't stop talking about how excited she was to read with you," you reminded him with a soft laugh. "they're happy, i promise."

"what did i do to deserve you?" spencer asked, wrapping his arm around you and pulling you into his side.

"i should be asking you that," you giggled. within a few minutes, morgan's costume was finished and put away. spencer turned you around and pulled you on top of him, your head resting comfortably on his chest.

"hey spence?" you asked after a minute, the sound of his heartbeat making you smile. "remember the year that morgan was born and we dressed her up as a pumpkin?"

"yeah, and conan wanted to be linus because he called her his 'great pumpkin,'" spencer laughed. "it was perfect, wasn't it?"

"yeah," you exhaled. "it really was."

those were the last words spoken before you both drifted asleep, neither of you caring about anything but the perfect family you had created.

*****

"daddy!" morgan whispered, shaking spencer's arm gently. his eyes drifted open, meeting her giant smile. "can me and conan try our costumes on?"

"of course, darling," he smiled. "i'll be there in a second, okay?"

"kay!" she beamed, running off to her room. spencer let out a small laugh, getting up as quietly as he could so as not to wake you up. grabbing the costumes, he headed into conan's room first.

"good morning, buddy," spencer smiled, sitting on his bed and giving him a hug.

"hi, dad," conan mumbled. "what's that?" he asked, pointing to the fabric in spencer's hand.

"mom and i finished your costume last night," spencer grinned, laughing as conan's eyes widened. "wanna try it on so we can show mom?"

"yeah!" he said excitedly, nearly screaming when spencer handed him the costume.

"i'm going to go help morgan, will you be able to change by yourself?" spencer asked. when conan nodded eagerly, spencer kissed his head softly and went to find his little girl.

"morgan," he called out, opening his arms as she ran towards him. "come here, let's go put this on," he smiled, picking her up and walking to her room. setting her down, spencer quickly helped morgan out of her pajamas and into the outfit and coat.

"do you like it, princess?" he asked as he held her up to the mirror.

"i love it!" morgan grinned. "thank you, daddy!"

"thank mommy, she did all the work," spencer laughed.

"i did all the work on what?" you asked from the doorway, earning looks from spencer and morgan.

"thank you, mommy! i love it!" morgan squealed, running into your arms as soon as spencer set her down.

"of course, sweet girl," you smiled, eyes locking with spencer.

"mom! dad! look at me!" conan yelled, running into the room.
"you look so good, sweetheart," you murmured, running your hand through his hair.

"are you gonna save us from the bad guys?" spencer asked playfully. "i think you could."

"no, you and mommy catch the bad guys," morgan said simply, causing you and spencer to smile wider than ever. you both shared a look, one expressing just how happy you both truly were. you loved spencer and your kids, they were your perfect family.