1. A Grim Disclosure

TRIGGER WARNING: FOUL LANGUAGE AND MATURE CONTENT

Song: Plastic Hearts by Miley Cyrus

Spotify Playlist Link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/13Be94OtALisdpN4XRhnNC

*~*~*~*~*

It was a beautiful, cool, and sunny day at Daventon University. Students conversed with their friends laughing and smiling. Within the coffee shop close by, students and faculty sat on tables using the afternoon as their lunch break while across the cafe, a cluster of students were frantically cramming for their pop quizzes and early midterms. 

Located in the college town of Luna Del Sur, California, it is one of the largest universities in Northern California renowned for its students' academic excellence and its football team. Amaya Song was one of the lucky students that received an acceptance letter into such a prestigious university. She was naive to believe that being one of the top students in high school would also carry into college.

She was wrong.

Depression overpowered her and she denied it for many years. She thought there was no such thing. Being Chinese and Filipina, mental health was never a part of her culture's vocabulary.

And that toxic mindset came back to bite her in the ass.

Amaya Song was having a terrible day. Usually, she was the type to be optimistic regardless of the type of situation thrown at her, but today was not it for her. Today was different.

Today, she was officially diagnosed not only with depression but also with ADHD and anxiety. She reread the diagnosis from her hospital's online chart and her psychiatrists' messages concerning her prescribed medications. Great.

And the worst of it all, she just lost her full-ride scholarship. She clicked to a different window on her laptop. She reread the email the head of scholarships sent her over and over again. She closed her eyes hoping it was just a dream. It wasn't.

She needed to find a way to pay for her last year at Daventon University. Disappointment weighed on her chest like a heavy cloud. Anxiety strangled her every breath, and self-deprecating thoughts plagued her mind.

Amaya failed to keep her grades up and for that, she lost her full-ride scholarship. She was 0.01 GPA points away to meet the GPA requirement but her grade from her physics class prevented her from reaching this goal.