iii | lunch

The last bell before lunch finally rings and the math teacher finishes his short review lecture. Everyone bows and spill out of class towards the fields, cafeteria, or other friend's classrooms to eat lunch together. I close my notebooks and put away my pencils, cleaning my tabletop, and grabbing my bento. Soon after, Rinoa grabs my wrist and takes me away to the cafeteria to meet up with our other friends.

"C'mon you, slowpoke! Moé and Miyu are already saving us a spot!" Rinoa passes by other students as I zip by them. The two of us quickly take off our indoor shoes and put on the bathroom slippers and aggressively wash our hands for lunch. I look inside my bento bag and can't find what I'm looking for, frantically looking around.

"What are you looking for y.n.?" Rinoa questions.

"My hand towel," ¹⁰ I look inside my bag and multiple times and can't find it. Rinoa stuffs hers into my hands.

"Use mine," she smiles and I gladly accept. The two of us take off the bathroom slippers and put on our indoor shoes again and briskly walk to our friends where they're saving us a table.

"You guys took forever!" Moé and Miyu complain.

"Sorry, it's my fault," I smile apologetically.

"She couldn't find her hand towel and was a total sloth when cleaning up after class." Rinoa shakes her head, opening up her lunch. I take mine out and everyone crowds around it. I've packed rice with shiso¹¹ furikake¹², pickled vegetables, a few pieces of savory fried chicken, and a cup of sliced fruits.

** Credits to Giphy - https://giphy

** Credits to Giphy - https://giphy.com/gifs/anime-food-bento-5TiWdosgbfWEM **

Their friend's mouths start to water from looking at the colorful lunch and smelling the luscious and aromatic smell of home cooking.

"Y.n. that smells so good," Moé sighs.

"You should teach us how to cook like this," Miyu says and attempts to grab a chicken. I move my lunch out of the way just in time. She fake cries and everyone starts laughing cheerfully.

The four of us talk about the classes we have and what classmates we have, munching away on lunches. The familiar sound of a good friend's laughter melts away first-day stress and replaces it with euphoria. My friends are laughing at a joke that Miyu said. Out of the blue, I gradually feel someone looking at me. My body shakes, and I avert my attention behind me, my laughing voice fading away in the process.

"U-Ushijima," I stutter.  My friends stop laughing and their attention turns to us. He stares down at me without saying a single syllable, his volleyball friends behind him, watching intently. I see tuffs of red hair pop up next to the silent giant, belonging to Tendō, and the other volleyball player, Reon Ōhira. The other third years  I don't recognize are presumably in Class B.  I start to get nervous, and I feel awkwardness flood over me and the giant.