xix | fancy seeing you here

"Good morning class! Before we start homeroom, I have an announcement," the teacher says, and a few murmurs make their way across.

"We have a new transfer student!" Right on cue, the door opens to reveal literally the last person I thought I would see at Shiratorizawa Academy.

"Everyone, please welcome Takashi Maeda. He's from Kyūshi Prefecture and will be attending Shiratorizawa Academy from now on!" The homeroom teacher is chirpy, and the class erupts in a wave of questions and exclaims.

"Shit! It's Pluto, it's King!"

His usual flowing hair is in a half up half down style, and he's wearing the winter uniform that consists of a long-sleeve dress shirt and blazer. His tattoos will be in full view if it's in a short-sleeve shirt for spring uniforms. I don't blame him.

I do my best to blend in, to not place attention on myself. However, that feeble plan goes out the window and the person behind me raises their hand to ask a question for Takashi.

"Why did you move to Miyagi?" Someone asks, and I turn my head to the right to look out the indoor window and stare at whatever I could that's not inside the classroom.

"Uh...um, I transferred because of my parent's jobs," he explains. His tripping over the beginning of his sentence has got to be him realizing that it's me, Kit. The female ruler of the underground racing world, Queen.

This has got to be the worst-case scenario.

"What's your favorite subject?" Another randomly asks.

"I like history and foreign language classes like English," King answers.

"Do you speak any other language?" Another question.

"I'm bilingual, Japanese and English," he says, and the class oohs and aahs.

"Like L.n!" One comments, and I flinch, continuing to look outside. As long as he doesn't connect my name to me, then I should be okay.

"Okay everyone, you can ask him more questions later. Maeda-kun, your new seat will be in front of L.n. in that empty seat," I internally fall out of my seat and feel myself turn to stone.

I continue to look outside, but I hear King's footsteps get closer and closer

I continue to look outside, but I hear King's footsteps get closer and closer. Eventually, the chair scrapes lightly against the floor, and he scoots in.

This is great.

Throughout the whole homeroom, I steal glances with Rin.

"I can't tell you every detail but please don't let this transfer student talk to me!" I tell her with my eyes. If she actually understands me with just my eyeballs is beyond me.

I pretend to be reading a book when the bell rings and homeroom is dismissed.

King whips around in his seat and taps my book continuously without a break.