𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑿𝑿𝑿𝑰𝑰𝑰 - 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝑭𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕

Leaves crunched beneath Athena and Claudius's feet. A silvery fog moved throughout the forest, climbing over mossy rocks and thick tree roots.

"How long has it been since you've gone through the woods?" Athena asked, picking up her rosy dress to leap over a fallen branch.

"I don't know... Twenty-five years, more or less," Claudius answered.

"How do you like it?"

Claudius tripped over a tree root but picked himself back up. He glanced at Athena and shook his head.

"I'm sorry..." She winced. "I feel more myself when I'm in the forest, especially when I take my shoes off and can feel the ground." Athena moved her arms around and danced a bit as she walked. "I hoped you might feel the same but... I suppose not."

Claudius wrapped his arms around his chest. "I much prefer being inside, where there aren't as many things to trip over—where I can relax and read my books by the fireside."

"I guess that makes sense," Athena said. "Dragons mostly stay inside their caves, don't they? I guess that's where they feel the safest."

"This dragon does." Claudius tapped his chest with his pointer finger.

Athena turned her head to face him. He traced his gloves over his suit, rubbing his fingers up and down. She gripped her dress tighter and fumbled with her lacey white gloves. "Claudius?" she spoke.

"Yes, dear?" He took hold of her hands and brought them close to his heart.

"I have a question, something I've been wonderin' about." She stopped in her tracks, pulled on him to face her, and picked up his other hand.

Claudius's eyes grew wide; he rubbed his thumbs over her knuckles.

Athena blinked a couple of times, smiled a thin smile, and looked down. "What's the real story? About these gloves, I mean?"

Claudius jerked his head back and blinked, confused. "I'm not so sure I understand your question."

"You haven't spoken to Henri in over twenty years, yes? You didn't even know he was still alive until a year ago?"

Claudius fumbled with her hands. "Yes? I still don't understand where you're going with this, Athena."

She let go of him and turned around, strutting away into the fog. "If you hadn't seen him in over twenty years, then how did you get him to make these gloves for me?" Athena spun about on her heels and held up the pearly gloves.

Claudius's heart dropped into his stomach. His lips fell. "It would be rude of me to share the origin of your gift, Athena."

"I don't care," she spat.

He sighed. "Henri and I... He..." Claudius scratched the back of his head, ruffling his thick black locks. He backed up and sat down on a tree stump. "Athena... I've always...."

The girl trotted on over and perched on the root beside him. "It's alright. I'm not upset, I promise. Just curious. You can tell me."

"Of course." Claudius cleared his throat and adjusted his suit. "While Henri and I were still friends, he... noticed how much I longed for... someone to be by my side."

Athena squinted her icy blue eyes.

"I apologize. I'm so embarrassed," he said, facepalming. "I've always wanted... a wife. Yes, a wife," he stammered.

Athena blushed and picked her head up, lengthening her body.

"No, no, no, no..." He waved his hands. "Not yet. It's just. Oh, god, I've said too much." Claudius hugged himself and sighed. "Henri made those for my future—"