𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑿𝑿𝑽 - 𝑨𝒍𝒍 𝒊𝒔 𝑭𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒏

Before Athena Everleigh could stretch her hand to the tall black doors of Beochaoineadh Castle, a voice beckoned her inside:

"Come in, Miss Everleigh. We've a lot to discuss."

The young lass gulped. Sir Claudius spoke with a sweet, mellifluous tone, as though they had been friends for a long, long time—and yet, his teeth were clamped together, talking through tight jaws.

"Of course, Sir Claudius."

She traveled several metres behind him, taking note of his fingers as they curled and uncurled into a fist. She kept her head low, as a servant always should.

The pair reached the Grand Hall where the fireplace illuminated the furniture. Athena's chair, as she had come to know it, was torn more than usual, with new claw marks forming around the armrests. Even with the fire only a few metres away, the girl shivered and quivered. Her stomach lurched, longing to leap out of her body. Athena's eyes narrowed and the world became a vignette.

"Miss Everleigh," spoke Sir Claudius, taking a seat in his oversized chair, "would you care to hear a strange story?"

Athena lifted her eyes, but only to the fireplace. She dared not look up at Sir Claudius. "Of course, Sir."

"I knew you would. You're always up for a good tale! Now then, just yesterday, I awoke in the dungeons, but something seemed... off. Do you know what I mean by 'off'?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Very well then!" He clasped his hands together, leaning forward slightly. "I scouted the room until I discovered the issue: Someone—I don't know who—stole my gold." As he spat out each word his pitch lowered and his rhythm slowed.

Athena's eyes darted across the room, traversing from the writing desk to the fireplace, to her chair. Her chest tightened, transforming into a stone slab.

Sir Claudius cleared his throat. "As a part of the curse placed upon me, I retain some of my dragon powers when human, but not fully. So I was not able to tell who this thief was at first. I assumed a púca naturally, as they have haunted my castle for years, always doing mischievous things. Therefore, upon transforming, I bolted to my room of gold, hoping to pick out the scent of the thief—but something else filtered in through my nostrils. A scent I recognized all too well." The girl squeezed her arms, blood veins preparing to burst. "I backed around, stomping across the stone floor with those ghastly dragon feet, and sniffed. My reliable dragon nose led me straight to a journal entry I wrote yesterday. And do you know whose scent was on it?"

The swelling in Athena's slender neck burst, a dam breaking. All the floodwaters rushed up to her eyes. She pushed them back, but to no avail, and soon the droplets spilled out all over her face and gown and shoes.

"Please... just let me explain myself!" a high-pitched squeal sounded throughout the room from a tiny cat in despair.

"Go ahead." Sir Claudius crossed his arms, huffing.

"I—I am so confused, Sir!" she called. "Yes, I did it! But..." The girl stared at his coat pocket. "May I have your handkerchief?"

"Yes." He pulled it out and handed it to her. She blew her nose, making sniveling sounds.

"Oh, thank you. It's just that... I've had such a difficult time lately. The other night I just had to turn into Milly! There was no way around it! I couldn't go to sleep and I had too much energy pent up inside me. You don't know the feeling. You don't know what it's like to be so many different people at once!" She turned to face him, her bloodshot eyes boring holes into his skin.